Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2018 01:00

E2218HN, HDMI, cannot see POST or BIOS

I got my replaced monitor couple of days ago with the same model type as Dell E2218HN. After I got this, when I power on my computer, I am unable to see BIOS startup screen but eventually I am able to see the windows OS logon screen. Till the time, I see the windows OS logon screen display, my monitor says, No HDMI input and goes to power save mode. When I had the same model of the monitor last week, it perfectly showed/displayed the BIOS start up screen. Any idea how I could bring up the BIOS start up screen to be displayed I had ran the following and no change (1) "Hard" reset the monitor * Turned the monitor off * Disconnected the monitor power cable and all other cables from the rear/bottom/side of the monitor * Pressed monitor power button for 30 seconds * Reconnect all cabling and retest (2) Run the monitor Factory Reset, Self-Test, BID (Built-in Diagnostic)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 11th, 2018 08:00

* We cannot choose a specific revision when doing an exchange under warranty period. Any future exchanges will NOT have A00. They will have the latest revision pre-installed on them
* We would not exchange this monitor due to this POST/BIOS issue. In general, you do not need to see them on every bootup. As I said, for testing POST or making changes within the BIOS, use VGA. Otherwise, use HDMI

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2018 11:00

Sounds like you got a different revision of the E2218HN.

What was the 20 digit S/N and A0x of the original E2218HN?
What is the 20 digit S/N and A0x of the replacement E2218HN?

If available on the PC, disconnect the HDMI to HDMI cable and test the VGA to VGA cable.

November 3rd, 2018 10:00

Hi Chris, My old original monitor details: Serial number: CN08D2YHFCC0076FEV1U Service Tag: Revision: A00 My replaced monitor details: (I came to know this is a refurbished one from Dell, just FYI) Serial number: CN08D2YHFCC00792D2AI Service Tag: Revision : A05 Hope this information will be useful

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 4th, 2018 11:00

Original A00 was built on June 15. 2017.
Replacement A05 was built on September 2, 2017.
All exchanged E2218HN will have the latest revision pre-installed.

So it is possible that a change in firmware caused the "cannot see POST or BIOS" using HDMI. Since both the HDMI in port and VGA in port on the E2218HN will max to 1920x1080 60Hz, I would test this to see if the POST/BIOS is seen on bootup =
PC VGA out port --> VGA to VGA cable --> E2218HN VGA in port

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 8th, 2018 09:00

Revision notes are rarely released to us. My point is if you need to see the BIOS for testing or making changes within the BIOS, use VGA. If you are checking the POST for information, use  VGA. For regular Windows usage, use HDMI since it works. Note, in Windows, you cannot see a difference between the two at 1920x1080 60Hz.

November 8th, 2018 09:00

Thanks Chris, I would try with VGA cable and update you later. In between, I have couple of questions. 1. Is this Revision number of Dell monitor hardware has any specification details like some sort of release notes. I wish to go through it to understand what are the changes, that, every revision would affect. 2. I believe VGA will send analog display signals compared to HDMI which is digital. Will using VGA affect the quality of display?

November 10th, 2018 08:00

Hello Chris,

I tried with VGA cable and am able to see POST and BIOS screens but the quality of the display of Windows using VGA display is VERY VERY Poor/Pathetic compared to HDMI display.

Is your suggestion to use VGA for working on POST+HDMI for regular Window display, temporary or persistent solution to me? Should I ask for replacement of monitor with A00 version? 

Atleast, I think, if the revision of the firmware has any problem, it should be considered as BUG by Dell Inc., and then, a fix has to be given in another version.

November 11th, 2018 09:00

Why dont Dell accept this issue as a bug on their revision number and give us fix for it, may be in another revised version like A06 or A07? When I purchased the Dell monitor, it is working fine with HDMI and I reported some button issue with my original monitor and when I got the replaced monitor, you guys have shipped another monitor with some defect on it. It is highly unacceptable. Dell cannot ask consumer to use dual cables for different operation, if that is the case, Dell should have a release note about the monitor and its operations and its functions, which is not happening. I believe , it is a bug on the revision of the firmware and you can easily give us another revision, or just, give me the downgrade process back to A00 revision, if you believe that will fix the issue.

No Events found!