Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2009 20:00

E228WFP display disappears

New monitor E228WFP bought February 10, 2009 (with Inspiron 530) and has been working like a charm until 2 days ago. The display suddenly went black but the green power LED stayed on. Shut off the LED, turned back on, monitor was fine but same thing happened perhaps 10 times during an hour or so. Updated driver, checked for viruses, etc. - all the usual troubleshooting - could find no problems. Noticed the monitor seemed hot at the top of the back.  Shut monitor off for a few minutes, re-set, and it was fine for 48 hours. Then this afternoon the same issue, and I immediately noticed the back (at top) seemed quite hot to the touch. Shut off monitor, and in a minute or so, when turned on, has been on with no problems since. Has gone into power saving mode when it is supposed to (orange LED) and also to sleep when put into that mode.

The display blacking out but the green LED light being on is not normal of course. It does not do the "auto-detect" thing either when it blacks out like this. I have it connected with the analog cable and checked all connections. Other than these few times, it works normally and is beautiful. Both times this has happened, it has been a bit "stuffy" in the area where the system is - in a dead corner of the room in a computer station - plenty of ventilation - but temps on the warm side (80 degrees or so?) Seems to be an issue only when the area seems a bit warm and muggy.  We do run a/c regularly if it gets really hot and/or humid, and will be logging any more instances, keeping track of temps.  Sorry for the long description but I could not find anything in a search that others have experienced this.....

Is this a problem based on heat/humidity?  I know computers are sensitive and I wondered if the display blacking out was a warning of some sort that the monitor was about to overheat and this was a protection device (shutting down).  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I will report anything else which happens in the future, just so anyone else with this issue will be able to follow it. I find these forums most helpful and that is why I am submitting this.  I doubt the problem is a backlight issue since it comes right back on when re-set and when the temps are "normal" we have never noticed any problems.

Thank you for any comments.

2 Posts

February 10th, 2013 03:00

This is a note to those fixing their monitors by fitting a 500k resistor. This was a temporary workaround until the root cause was discovered, i.e. the failure of C806. I too fitted the resistor before someone on this forum discovered the faulty capacitor.

So the proper fix is to REPLACE C806 with a 1uF 25V ceramic SMT capacitor. I cannot remember whether it is 0402 or 0603 size. You can get away with a leaded part and you can just bend the leads to suit the pad spacing. If you are using a polarised capacitor, such as an electrolytic or tantalum then the negative terminal needs to go on the pad that connects to D812.

My own monitor has been working successfully for months after I removed the additional 500k resistor and replaced the capacitor instead.

10 Posts

July 21st, 2009 04:00

Update on this issue - after writing this post last night, having used the monitor for approx. 2 and 1/2 hours, the display went black again with the green LED light on. The temp was about 78 degrees - not enough to cause an issue with a normal monitor. The back of the monitor was extremely hot to the touch. It appears the issue is the monitor itself - heating up and shutting down the display for some reason. When the LED power light was green, I shut it off, turned it on, display returned, only to blank out again within 5 minutes, so I shut down completely. I think the monitor is defective? I see others with issues with these same monitors posting here.  I am hoping Chris from Dell will offer some insight here in the forum. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 21st, 2009 05:00

Bookworms,

Go ahead and get it replaced. If you only have a monitor order number, you should contact Customer Service. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact Technical Support. They will need the following -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason:

10 Posts

July 21st, 2009 06:00

Bought it through Best Buy (Dell dealer) so assume they would be the ones to replace it. I am concerned that other Dell monitors are having the same issues, and see no point to replacing this one with another with the same problems. Thanks for your reply.

10 Posts

July 21st, 2009 14:00

resolved issue with replacement (S2309W) to be picked up at Best Buy tomorrow. They quickly agreed to replace under warranty.

Hope the new one will provide the super display properties of this one, as I have to use VGA and am concerned with the much higher resolution.

Separate thread on that issue - thanks.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2009 15:00

We have an E228WFP (CN-0X764G-64180-88C-1GRS-A00) purchased SEP08 with the same symptoms (and I've seen a number of very similar posts for idential units purchased in the past year.)    Office environment: ~76F constant.  All power lights are on and if you look very closely you can see a shadow the active image.  Power it off, and it comes back.  10 minutes later, its gone again.  We tried both VGA and DVI ports, different cable, different workstations -- same results.  Luckily, we purchased a 3 year extended warranty.  Just sent an eMail to Warranty support.  ALSO, see other post Tags I've added (below)

Good Luck!

10 Posts

July 31st, 2009 19:00

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19287089/19527806.aspx#19527806

Another one reported here to which I replied. Thanks for the comeback!  I was lucky mine was just replaced with a different model, as I would not want another E228wfp after reading everyone else's troubles with them.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 1st, 2009 16:00

Dell is aware of this issue and all service stock has been corrected. Get it replaced. If you only have a monitor order number, you should contact Customer Service. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact Technical Support. They will need the following -

Name:

Email Address:

Shipping address:

Phone number:

Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:

Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:

Reason: E228WFP flat panel monitor has a green power LED light but no display

1 Message

January 4th, 2010 16:00

My monitor has the same issues - goes black after 10 minutes or less - but is over a year old.  As it is out of warrantee, does Dell sell parts so I can fix it myself?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 4th, 2010 22:00

handat,

We do not have monitor internal parts, all we do is exchange them while under warranty.

24 Posts

January 12th, 2010 02:00

I have the same problem as everyone else. My Monitor does this with vga  and dvi-d cables, It does this randomly and seems to work longer if left off longer.  It is not the power supply - I don't think it is the Inverter itself  because It does not Flicker or Turn on or off  slow, dim ,blink, or any other indication that it is the transformers, lights or capacitors are going out.  My conclusion is that the problem was either in the  chips on the green side of the power supply / inverter board (and is most likely the one that controls the brightness / contrast) or the on AD board. The CCFL transformers all were in good working order, and when I was testing these the power was cut some where before because power to both transformers lost power at the same time like it was shut off by switch. It is a production line defect because it is happening to so many monitors. Bad capacitors have in all cases I've seen, made the backlight blink (except the Big one on the power supply side).  The fact that the Monitor works fine then backlight turns off suddenly and acts like nothing is wrong means that it is some where in the backlight control circuits and more likely a Bad / Defective chip (most likely the one that controls the brightness and contrast) and could  be a programming malfunction or loose solder connection (but I don't think so because it works fine for a year or two before this problem starts and because it is happening to more than ten monitors (that I know of ).  I don't have the expertise or tools to determine any thing further but I too hope that someone will find what exactly is causing this problem.  If you replace one of the boards and it fixes the problem  Please tell us which one it is.

As far as humidity I dont think it would affect it unless you have 100+ humidity.

If you take a  bright flashlight and shine it at the screen when this occures and the indicator light is green and connected to a running computer you should see the lcd Is working if not it is not this particular problem.

Also, My monitor backlight will not turn back on until power is cut and then restored .

Thanks for your comments

-Jammtek

13 Posts

January 20th, 2010 11:00

If you replace one of the boards and it fixes the problem  Please tell us which one it is.

I am hoping for a post pointing to a faulty component, or better yet, a cold/cracked solder joint.  A board is basically 1/3 of the price of a new monitor - so you might as well buy new.

It is a same Dell is aware of this problem - but makes returns difficult.  Most businesses just buy a new one and throw the old one in the dumpster.

24 Posts

January 21st, 2010 21:00

I cannot find a replacement board for this refurbished or new short of buying a new monitor, If you know where to get one (that English reading people can buy) it would be nice if someone just wants a new one.

I am Still in the process of finding the problem, I am fairly sure it is one of two things:

1. The "MOSFET (metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor)" (A three pronged  chip mounted to heat-sink on power supply side of board) which on my board is a "ST" Brand model P10NK70ZFP (TO220FP). I am currently awaiting a new one that I ordered from Here
  2. A chip Known as a "Green Mode PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Controller" ( That is mounted on the green side, directly under the power supply that has 8 pins. The one on my board is a "Leadtrend" Brand and model LD7575,  It took me some time to find this chip and they are a fair price (9.99+SH) but I did find someone that sells them : Here

For a description of what these do see Wikipedia's description (MOSFET and PWM controller)

Unfortunantly, I will not be able to find out which one it is on mine because of an accident while testing other components.which "smoked my PWM controller a diode and two resistors', by the way if someone has one apart I need the numbers that are on these two resistors: R912 & R913 ?  Thanks

Please reply if you have any information to help resolve this or enlightenment concerning these types of problems and how to fix them.

And just to be on the safe side : I am not responsible for anything you do to your monitor, this is for those with the Tools and Experience or dare to fix this problem on their own.

24 Posts

January 21st, 2010 22:00

Sorry, I realize that there is a statement 'It is not the power supply" that should not be in there.

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 09:00

if someone has one apart I need the numbers that are on these two resistors: R912 & R913

Hello - mine is apart right now.  R912 is 100, and R913 is 1001.  This is off board PN (t) 7642laa1 Rev A)).

I thought I fixed mine, found a cracked solder joint on C801 (ballast capacitor), but still no luck.

I noticed there are two squares silkscreened on the board.  One has a rubber piece stuck to this area.  The other one is missing.  The keeps the sheet of plastic insulator off the components to allow airflow.  I wondered if this high voltage area ran hotter than usual because it lacked proper airflow on the side without the standoff.  There are holes in the metal cover, but the plastic sheet blocks the natural convection cooling.  I assume the components have been damaged over time and now need to be replaced.  Hopefully you can determine the damaged component(s) -  (and it is the same as mine!)

I noticed the two little 8 pin IC's  (I guess these are the PWM- not confirmed since I am not home  at the moment) on the back were running very hot, I stuck on little heat sinks, but still no luck.   If these are the problem, I am not sure I will spend $20 for two, and $10 shipping.  It is a lot of money (and these parts are probably 20 cents when bought in bulk).

I found you can buy a new board at http://www.lcdrepair.us/E228WFPc-inverter-power.html, but I did read a negative post about this place (but there is always someone complaining - and people usually don't post standard expected service).  And the picture does not match my board - I have two of the large components (transformers?? - close to where the lamps plug in - this one has 4).

Newegg has a well reviewed 1080p 23" monitor for $170 - I would buy that before sinking $70 on this one (I have spent about $15 so far - may jump to 45 if I buy those IC :)

No Events found!