Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 6th, 2009 18:00

How to Install Video Driver Update

I downloaded a video driver update for my 2007 WFP monitor and in the folder there are no executable files nor any instructions on how to install. What am I missing - how do I install the drivers?

1.3K Posts

January 7th, 2009 08:00

If your monitor is working with your current OS, there is not a need to update a driver.

This is info direct from Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=33D0DB568FC7A6C9E040A68F5B28743F#2

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

January 7th, 2009 08:00

Thank you for your reply. I want to rotate the monitor from landscape to portrait and the information that came with the monitor says I need to download drivers (that did not come with the monitor) to do so.

1.3K Posts

January 7th, 2009 13:00

To install video drivers in Vista Windows. You go to the start menu>control panel> Device Manager> (classic view) find the hardware on the list>  right click> you will the see a list one task  is update driver. You need to browse your computer to find driver file. Many times file will be d/l to your desktop.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

January 7th, 2009 15:00

I went to Device Manager (BTW, I have XP) and did what you said. In the Hardware Update Wizard I chose "Search for the best driver in these locations" and checked "Include this location in the search" with the path to the folder I downloaded in that field. After over four minutes of "please wait while the wizard searches," I canceled.

Like I said in my original post, there don't appear to be any executable files in the folder I downloaded. Now what do I try?

370 Posts

January 7th, 2009 19:00

I'm just guessing here, but maybe you need to update the driver for video card, not the monitor?  These files will be executable.

But you're correct that drivers for the monitor will not be executable files.  They are installed as explained above.  Does Device Manager show a "monitor" in the hardware list?  If not, try updating the video card drivers first.  Then a "monitor" should appear in the hardware list in Device Manager.  Click on it to display Properties, then update driver, then direct it to search in the specific location of the folder you downloaded.   (I just went through this routine after re-installing XP on my old Dim 8300 in order to get it to recognize the specific monitor model I'm using.)

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

January 8th, 2009 08:00

The device manager showed "Plug and Play Monitor." So, I selected update driver to search and then afterward the device manager showed "Dell 2007 WFP."

Then, according to the monitor rotating instructions, I needed to download the latest video drivers. I did so and during the installation of the drivers, I got a message saying that the target file was newer that the source. So I selected "no" to keep the newer file.

The rotating instructions say I should have under Settings > Advanced a choice for NVRotate, which I still do not have.

I was afraid to install an older video driver file over the newer one that exists on my system with the concern that it would do something I could not easily correct. Should I go ahead and install the older file that I downloaded from Dell with the hope that it will give me the rotate option?

1.3K Posts

January 8th, 2009 10:00

370 Posts

Congrats... you got the monitor drivers installed. 

The Dell video card drivers are always pretty old.  What video card do you have, or does your computer just use integrated graphics?  I would download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site (your card is probably ATI or nVidia) and go ahead and do the update. It's not going to hurt anything unless you try to use the wrong "brand" of an updated driver file.  Just do a restore point before the install... then you can easily go back if it creates problems.

370 Posts

The rotating instructions say I should have under Settings > Advanced a choice for NVRotate, which I still do not have.

Another thought... you might be overlooking the NVRotate option.  On my system, I have to go to Settings>Advanced> and then click on the tab with my video card's name > then click on a button for the NVIDA Control Panel.  That brings up a new window which includes the NVRotate option.     (I'm a little slow... just realized you probably have an nVidia card since you referred to the "NVRotate" function.)

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

January 8th, 2009 19:00

Thank you for your time RChris, I really appreciate it.

I do not have a button for NVIDIA Control Panel.

I went to the NVidia site and had it search for my driver. The result was it found the proper model number (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200), but it also said "The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site." And then it went on to mention notebook GPUs, which confused me (my system is not a notebook).

Anyway, should I go back to Dell and try the older driver?

370 Posts

January 9th, 2009 08:00

That really IS confusing! 

I guess I would not hesitate to try either (or both!) of the older Dell driver or download the newer FX 5200 driver.  Just create a restore point first (Start > Help & Support > System Restore). 

Personally, I'd try the latest nVidia driver (175.19).  If you do a manual search for it at the NVidia site (rather than the automated search), you should be able to download it. It might actually give you the Control Panel button I mentioned.  I've got a GeForce 7600 with a slightly older driver, 169.11.

If all that fails, maybe you'll have to consider a newer video card to get the rotation function (I'm just guessing, here!).

370 Posts

January 9th, 2009 13:00

You're welcome.  I'm pleased to know you finally got it working.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

January 9th, 2009 13:00

It worked! Good advice - I tried the 175.19.

Having the monitor in portrait mode has quite a few advantages. For instance I can see more of an email message, I can see more of the subject lines in my email program, and with this wide monitor in landscape, some pages display text all the way across the full width of the screen, which is uncomfortable to read.

Now the not so good news. I have to be honest. After all that trouble once I did rotate to portrait, I discovered something I had not considered before. There is not enough room on the Taskbar for all the apps I have open. I often have 8 to 12 windows open at one time and I need to be able to see all those on the Taskbar.

I write this so anyone else thinking about doing this will be aware of the results.

But anyway, I still appreciate the help very much. And, now I know I can do it if I choose.

370 Posts

January 9th, 2009 17:00

After all that trouble once I did rotate to portrait, I discovered something I had not considered before. There is not enough room on the Taskbar for all the apps I have open. I often have 8 to 12 windows open at one time and I need to be able to see all those on the Taskbar.

You might try moving the Taskbar to the left or right edge of your screen.  Right-click on it, unlock, and then drag with the mouse. Adjust the width if necessary by putting the mouse pointer on the edge to get the left-right adjustment arrow.

No Events found!