Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2006 13:00

Just received my new 2007fwp A02

I just received my replacement monitor today. BTW thanks chris for handling this very promptly;however, i still am experiencing color banding in desktop mode when i watch DVDs or 720p video files. Is there a setting or something i am supposed to turn off??? I am using the DVI cable into my Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT and at 1680x1050.

Gabe

6 Posts

so when there is a water or sky scene... its ok to see big blocks of colors jumbled together?!?!

44 Posts

on my 2007fwp with banding -- its not noticable (that i can tell) on anything BUT a gradient or that gradient test.

i am thinking you are seeing the natural pixelation in the blacks and dark colors that is normal with dvd viewing on monitors.

try sitting back a bit further -- you probably wont notice it.

i am not trying to imply that you don't have the issue, im just trying to give you some ideas... :)

4 Posts

I just received mine this morning, but I was on my way to work so I can't test it out.

Are you sure those DVDs don't have the banding in them from the way their compression was done?

Does the gradient test show banding?

6 Posts

im not quite sure what to look for when looking at a gradient test jpeg... the DVDs i was watching were store bought DVDs i tried out like 5 different movies and i still see banding....

3 Posts

June 14th, 2006 14:00

Even though DVD is now a mature format, many movies still suffer from pretty bad compression problems. I think LCD displays in general show compression problems more than CRT based displays. Also having your brightness set too high will cause the compression to be more apparent. Try calibrating your brightness setting to ISF standards.

15 Posts

My wife just IM'd me at work to let me know my replacement monitor has arrived also.  Man, now I'll be thinking about it all day.  Good news though for those of us who have been quietly wondering what kind of time frame we're in for receiving these. 

11 Posts

Have you tried any games on the new monitor and or ran a gradient test? Also did your new revision have any dead pixels?

36 Posts

June 14th, 2006 17:00

How long after sending Chris your pms did you get your monitors?

June 14th, 2006 18:00

Mine has zero subpixel defects. 

I ran the previous gradient test posted in the original thread again - this time in desktop mode, there are very very closely spaced delineations in part of the gradient - in all, among what one should expect with an LCD - as good or better than my other monitors.

I was able to switch to the two other viewing modes, Multimedia and Gaming, and both look like my old monitor - much much worse.  So it definitely looks like turning off the processing is improving things.  It's still not a perfectly smooth gradient, but again - I've never seen one on an LCD with the test I'm using.

Most importantly, my images aren't posterized any more.  This was critical for me since I'll be using this monitor for photo editing and was having problems with the first monitor - figuring out whether  or not a manipulation was creating an unnatural gradient.

3 Posts

June 14th, 2006 20:00

Got mine today. Vast improvement in gradient. If you put your eyes a few inches from the screen, there is very, very slight banding over the entire gradient, but seems par for the course for LCDs. In any event, from a normal viewing distance no banding! One thing I noticed is that the other two modes, although still having noticable banding, aren't as bad as they were on my first monitor, so maybe there was some other tweaking as well.

Text is super sharp, no dead or stuck pixels.

Looks good DVI and VGA.

NOTE: If you are using VGA, the phase and pixel clock settings were pretty messed up out of the box. Set them to 50 and then do any tweaking you need from there. My phase came set at 100 and I could really see the "dancing colors" effect in the two non desktop modes, adjusting the phase fixed this.

Tonight I'll retweak my color settings to preference and get a better idea of how things look beyond the fixed banding issue. So far I'm very happy with the new monitor. Only problem now is that I definitely want a second fixed one for a dual monitor setup! :)

Oh, I find this program extremely helpful in not only testing for banding, but also checking for dead pixels, adjusting phase, etc...

http://www.ykwong.com/checkemon.html

8 Posts

June 14th, 2006 22:00

I received my monitor today. It's a Rev A02 and it was shipped via Fedex.

I haven't tested it out much, but from what I hear the banding issues are finally resolved. I also didn't find any dead pixels :)

Thank you dell!

Message Edited by MaceX on 06-14-200606:20 PM

15 Posts

June 15th, 2006 13:00

I was able to set up my replacement (rev A02) monitor last night... I only had time to check for dead pixels and spend a few minutes in WoW.  Good news on all fronts as there are zero dead or stuck pixels, and the banding is virtually nonexistent from what I could see (the sky in WoW has banding, but that is just the game, it looked the same on my old CRT). 

I'll post back if anything changes for the worse, but right now I'm glad I took a chance on Dell's word of a fix, saved $120, and came out on top with not much hastle in between.  I hope you all have similar luck with your monitors.

Oh, and no I was never contacted about the replacement monitor being on its way.  Not an email, phone call, or PM.  It just showed up yesterday, June 14th.  I originally ordered the 2007wfp 5/24, and received it 5/26.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2006 16:00

Had a chance to tweak it and take it for a spin. Very happy. I can actually use DVI now! FWIW, the display looks just as good to me in VGA as in DVI, the advantage for the DVI being that phase and pixel clock are perfectly synced with the video card in DVI.

Good colors, sharp text, no ghosting or tearing in games. No banding at all, all gradients look good and a full spectrum gradient is smooth across the board.

I would recommend this monitor now, with out reservations to anyone. Well, of course, once we know that all units being shipped are rev02 or higher.

Thanks to Chris and Dell for taking care of this issue. It was a shame to has such an all around product that you still had to tell people to hold of on considering due to one serious issue. With this fix, this is an absolutely incredible monitor and great value. I'm starting to look for a new computer desk that will handle a dual setup, once I know that a new one ordered will be rev02 I'm not going to be able to resist getting another.

18 Posts

June 15th, 2006 17:00

there are so many freaking threads about 2007! anyways pics: A02 S-IPS 2007FP http://jsayainc.googlepages.com/2007fpmonitor
No Events found!