Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2010 10:00

Laptop Camera and Monitor Camera Conflict?

I recently purchased a sp2309W monitor, and have it hooked up to my laptop a Dell M1330.

I installed the camera software, and it defaults to the camera on the laptop. How can I switch it so that it look at the camera on the monitor?

at this time, there is no LED light whatsoever on the monitor. Is there a way to test if it is even talking to the monitor?

Thanks,

Ken

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 25th, 2010 06:00

You need to open the device manager and disable the laptop camera. Then, redirect the software to use the monitors camera.

9 Posts

January 25th, 2010 17:00

I tried that - I disabled the laptop camera, then reinstalled the software. The software comes up saying no supported webcam driver detected.

The monitor camera appears in the device manager.

how can I tell the software it exists, or does it?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 26th, 2010 05:00

With everything connected and on, power the monitor off, wait 10 seconds, power the monitor on. Open the Dell Webcam software. Does it see the monitor?

9 Posts

January 27th, 2010 20:00

no, that still does not work

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 27th, 2010 20:00

Test the monitor USB uplink cable on all of the laptop USB ports and see if the webcam gets picked up.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2010 05:00

It appears in the device manager though, shouldn't that confirm that it is not a connection problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 28th, 2010 06:00

Just test the cord in all of the USB ports.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2010 15:00

Ok CRAZY mistake -

There are two webcam softwares - Dell Webcam Central and Dell Webcam Center

They both get installed into the same directory.

I was using Dell Webcam Center - but that only works with the laptop camera

If I use Dell Webcam Central - it works great.

Sorry...

Ken

9 Posts

January 28th, 2010 15:00

I switched ports, it recognized the switch, and an icon appeared that said found new hardware, and searching for driver, and installed successfully. I went to device manager, and it shows "Monitor Camera #2".

I load the software, and it still comes up with the same error. "No supported webcam driver detected. Please install the webcam driver using the Dell Resource CD and launch Webcam Center again."

No Events found!