Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2009 02:00

Monitor won't wake up - Displayport - ATI Radeon 3470

After my computer goes to sleep, I can't get the monitor to wake up again about 80% of the time. I just have to do a hard reset.

I can connect via remote desktop without any problem.

I have tried pressing keys on the keyboard and moving the mouse to no avail. If I turn the screen off and on, it just says 'entering power saving mode'.

Configuration:

OPTIPLEX 960 MT - Bios version 3
256MB ATI Radeon 3470 PCIe
2408WFP
DisplayPort

I tend to think that it is DisplayPort related. I never had this issue before using other computer-monitor combinations and DVI.

I tried installing the newest BIOS on the computer and installing the newest ATI driver. No change.

Any ideas?

7 Posts

October 8th, 2010 08:00

Sorry for a late reply... Yes this setting still works great for both 570's. Only change was to update CCC again to 10.8 This is the power plan that works for me.  Sometime there is a short pause (maybe 6 seconds for the mouse pointer to activate), but I think that is some timer involved.

1. New 10.8 version of ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC) Installed, Driver # 8.762.0.0

2. Hybernate function disabled and Turned Off via “cmd” prompt action (powercfg -h OFF)

3. My Custom Plan 1 (Active) :

Require Password on Wakeup (Yes)

Hard Disk (Turn OFF after 25 minutes)

Desktop background settings, Slide show (available)

Wireless adapter settings (Max Performance)

Sleep: Sleep after (30 minutes)

Allow Wake Up Timers (Enabled)

USB settings: USB selective suspend settings (Enabled)

Power Button Action: (Shut Down)

*sleep button (sleep) This option is relative to some keyboards.

PCI Express: Link State Power Management (OFF)

Processor Power Management

Minimum processor state (5%)

System cooling policy (active)

Max processor state (100%)

Display: Turn OFF display after (20 minutes)

Multimedia settings:

When sharing media (allow the computer to sleep)

When playing video (optimize video quality)

Note: I have not tried turning the Link Power Management feature ON in PCI Express because I don't understand this conflick I found: Device Manager >System devices >AMD PCI Express (3G10) filter drive properties> Input/Output Range >Conflicting Device List: 0000-0CF7 used by ACPIx64 based PC.

Hope this works for you.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2010 14:00

You are my hero, chastom, for saving me from a motherboard replacement for what is just a software glitch. This fix has worked for me all week now, both on the 570 I have at home and my other one, which is 1000 miles away and to which I applied the fix remotely. I suspect this would also work for other systems that use Radeon graphics and are experiencing the same problem.

I installed over the existing CCC and opted for express install. One of the monitors I use is a Dell E228, for which the CCC took me through a lengthy calibration process. The other is a Dell ST2010, which was immediately recognized by the CCC and required no calibration.

Chris-DELL, if you're still paying attention to this thread, please get this solution into the support center technical bulletins. It will make life easier for others suffering from this issue.

7 Posts

October 8th, 2010 20:00

rvenie,

Good !    Let's hope this is a long term solution for many before they decide to visit the “computer crusher”.:emotion-8:

Glad you had good luck with CCC express install. I went with clean install because I was afraid the old v9.7 would leave confusing scraps in the register...so used ccleaner to mop up register before installing new version.

Thanks for added info...:emotion-21:

2 Posts

November 9th, 2011 13:00

I had the same problem and did what I could with all the suggestions I got through Dell communities and other sites on Google.  Nothing worked.  The only workaround that was completely foolproof was to change the connection to DVI or change the Power plan so that the Display NEVER turns off.  I chose to change the power plan, cause I use by DVI port for another monitor.  Now it just shows the screen saver, but stays on.  It may burn out faster, but now I don't have to worry about not being able to get back on to my workstation after the screen cuts out.

1 Message

January 5th, 2013 15:00

THANK YOU CHRIS!! You succeeded where the terrible 800 customer service utterly failed me.

I uninstalled ATI control center + Driver

Ran the driver sweeper and uninstalled remnants of ATI driver.

Installed the latest ATI drivers for RADEON 3D 9500  (which are actually quite old)

Installed the ATI Hot Keys. Set misc-reload display driver to Alt+T

When I used to turn off the Brand New (bought Jan31/2012) Dell S2340L Monitor it wouldn't find any signal and then it would enter sleep mode and I was unable to wake it. Would have to crash the computer. Now I can just hit ALT+T and it instantly finds the source.

It's not ideal but it will work fine until I upgrade this ridicuously old computer to something worthy of this brand new Dell S2340L monitor.

I hope someone at DELL is listening. Give this guy Chris M a pay raise and position upgrade and while your at it fire the utterly worthless and incompetent person I talked to at the tech support. That guys suggestion was try the monitor on another PC.. ughh duh.. i already knew the monitor was fine. Big help there, NOT.

If it wasn't for Chris M's troubleshooting here I would have returned this brand new - several hundred dollar monitor.

Thanks for the help,
Max

1 Message

April 16th, 2013 17:00

Same issue for me with a Dell U3011 and a Gigabyte AMD 7970.  I found this (rather dated) paper that may be relevant.   It describes displayport detection issues due to problems with cables and miniDP adapters:

www.necdisplay.com/.../DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

2 Posts

June 24th, 2013 15:00

AMD support dead-ends to Out-Of-Luck for trying to upgrade the driver on a brand new Windows 8 Dell XPS 8500 with AMD Radeon HD 7570 (it is not listed as supported in the release notes for their Catalyst software) and although their web site promises you can "raise a ticket" about an unanswered problem, it again dead-ends to Out-Of-Luck. In other words, no solution, the monitor sometimes simply will not wake up.

2 Posts

My display adapter was still under warranty.  Dell sent a replacement and it now works perfectly.

2 Posts

Whoops, should've mentioned the monitor is a Dell ST2220L with DVI cable

No Events found!