Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

June 9th, 2019 14:00

P2414H, HDMI to DP not working

Hello all,

My wife has a dual-display set up with two P2414Hb monitors.  They're both set up via DVI-D from her Surface dock and work just fine via the DVI-D input.

I would like to set up her laptop to connect via the DisplayPort input.  Her laptop has a hdmi out port.  I've connected the laptop hdmi port to the monitor's DP port and there is no signal at the monitor.  I've connected the laptop to the hdmi cable on our tv and that works.  I've connected my laptop via hdmi to the monitor (hdmi > DP cable) and still nothing on the screen.

That should work right?  Signal chain is:  laptop hdmi port>hdmi-dp cable>dp port on monitor.

I've seen some links online that suggest needing to unlock or enable the DP port via the OSD.

Which brings up the second issue.  Until there is a source signal, the montor menu buttons are only working for input selection.  They do not bring up a full OSD menu.  So, when in Windows, using the Surface (and DVI-D port) I can bring up the OSD. But it does not appear to include the option mentioned for enabling the DisplayPort mentioned here: https://multimonitorcomputer.com/solved/dell-u2414h-displayport-not-working.php

Somehow I feel these issues are related but haven't figured out how to solve them.

I have read the FAQ on the HDMI>DP path.  I have ordered an active conversion cable and will update this thread if that is a success.  I just wanted to make sure that the DP port wasn't somehow disabled.

Thanks,

Brian

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 10th, 2019 06:00

"I've connected the laptop hdmi port to the monitor's DP port and there is no signal at the monitor."
" I've connected my laptop via hdmi to the monitor (hdmi > DP cable) and still nothing on the screen."

* Click my DELL-name and private message me the P2414H service tag numbers

* A PC HDMI out port cannot UPCONVERT to a monitor DP/mDP in port via a straight conversion cable. Those cables are actually built to do the opposite =
PC DP out port --> DP to HDMI cable --> Monitor HDMI in port

* You need the HDMI to DP conversion kit =
PC HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> HDMI in to DP out converter --> DP to DP cable --> Monitor DP in

Correct, if the monitor does not detect an Input Source, you cannot use the Menu.

No Events found!