Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 23rd, 2017 15:00

P2715Q, OWC 13 Port Thunderbolt 3 dock, XPS 15

I have my XPS laptop connected to the OWC 13 Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock via a TB3 cable.  I have my P2715Q (Dell 27 inch 4K monitor) connected using the mini Display Port out of the Dock to the Display Port into the monitor.  I am successful in using the full capability of the monitor at 3840 x 2160 resolution at 60 Hz.  All is good until sometimes the display reverts to 1920 x 1200 resolution.  The laptop still shows it is set at 3840 x 2160, but the monitor reverts to a lower resolution.  If I unplug the mini DP from the dock and plug it back in again, I am able to get the monitor to go back to full 3840 x 2160 resolution on its own.  This seems to happen when the monitor goes into sleep mode and when it wakes up it is at a reduced resolution.  Also, lately on starting up of the computer, it is coming up at the 1920 x 1200.  Again, I just unplug and re-plug the mini display plug on the back of the docking station and all is good.  I have gotten no where with tech help from OWC, they suggested using this forum. 

Thanks in advance, tgus15068

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 20:00

Take the dock out of the troubleshooting equation. Test the XPS 15 directly to the P2715Q. If the issue does not return, the fault was the dock.

4 Posts

December 24th, 2017 08:00

Chris M, Thanks for the reply.  Prior to using the Dock, I had a direct connection from my XPS TB3 port to the monitor DP 1.2 port.  I had no problems with this scenario.  It was only after connecting the monitor to the dock (via the min DP port)  that I started to get these intermittent issues.  For that reason, I do believe the dock is the root of the problem.  What I don't know is if this is a faulty Dock or a setting that is not correct.  It just seems so curious that I am able to correct the issue just by unplugging and plugging back in the mini DP plug.  Right now, I am using a TB3 port (instead of the mini DP) out of the dock to the monitor DP port.  I will monitor to see if the problem shows up again, but so far, all has been good.  Again, thanks for your interest in my problem.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2017 06:00

With the monitor connected via the thunderbolt 3 port out of the OWC Dock, there is no problem for 3 days!!  It is only when I use the mini display port out of the dock that the monitor will change resolution.  For that reason, I do not believe the problem originates from the laptop, but rather the OWC dock (when it is connected via the mini DP).  It would be nice to have the Thunderbolt 3 port I am using from the dock free for other uses rather than have it connected to the monitor.  

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 27th, 2017 09:00

Based on your troubleshooting, I also think the fault is with the OWC dock. In searching for OWC forums, they all lead to Apple operating system and hardware related forums? Did OWC expressly state that they had tested their product on Dell Windows systems? Did they mention any OWC dock firmware updates?

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 12:00

OK, I received my third OWC 13 port dock and hooked it up to my Dell monitor with several connection scenarios.  My resolution issue went away and it has been operating without failure for three weeks now.  I believe all is good now.  Thanks to Chris for his input, but it appears that I had two bad docks and the third one I received finally was good.

No Events found!