Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2003 20:00

Picture Quality Flat Panel E171FPb

Just bought the 4600 with 17" flat monitor. Not only does it give me headaches after 10 mins but the picture quality is nothing to brag about. Here's my biggest problem - When I go to a web site, any and all pictures seem "blurry"

However if I right click on a picture and click "show original image" in a matter of seconds the picture is clear.
My old CRT monitor never had this problem.  Could this be a Monitor issue or Windows XP (Home) ? 

Am I the only one who has had this problem or am I just being a picky S.O.B. 

Thanks, Harlacan

1K Posts

September 27th, 2003 20:00

What have you set the resolution to?. LCD's are pretty inflexible, best to use their native resolution , in your case 1280x1024, for refresh rate use 60Hz. Pull up a full windows page, as busy as possible, and hit the Auto button (first on the left). Enable Clear Type using this wizard so you can customize it for yourself. If your text is too small for your preference at this resolution increase your DPI setting in Display Properties to 120. See whether any of this helps you.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm

1 Message

October 22nd, 2003 21:00

since you seem familiar with the E171FPb, can you tell me how to get my system to recognize it? I have a Dell Dimension 4100, upgraded from ME to Windows XP with a ATI Rage 128 Pro video adapter (came factory installed). Getting nowhere with Dell, the only progress made so far was in downloading a driver upgrade from the ATI website. Now it's recognized by the adapter as a secondary and disconnected monitor (it's connected, It works but windows thinks it's the old one) Any suggestions?

7 Posts

October 26th, 2003 07:00

I'm experiencing the same problem with my  E151FPb.

I've tried everything that the flimsy on line manual suggests, but image quality is pretty poor. I've got the refresh rate set @ 60HZ, and the resolution is set @ 1024x768. Anything less in terms of screen resolution is really horrible. I've seen flat panels in stores that have much better resolution than this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

B.

Message Edited by B.Starr on 10-26-2003 03:08 AM

1 Message

October 26th, 2003 14:00

I also have the issue with picture clarity and brightness as well.

331 Posts

October 30th, 2003 19:00

Have a read of this Dell Moderator's message concerning fonts and images, maybe it will be of some help.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=92122

1 Message

October 31st, 2003 01:00

We just received the computer an 8300 and the same monitor you have . It is awful and tech supt has not been any help online. we are ready to requesta  return.   We are so surprised that the company is not concerned with this. the setting don't correct it we have spent hours trying to get the fuzziness out of the slettering on the screen.  terribly blurry

1 Message

November 3rd, 2003 04:00

About a month ago I purchased a Dell Dimension 8300 P-4 3.0 GHz System with all the bells and whistles.I purchased a Dell Flat Panel E171FPb Monitor with the system, up to the point I used a NEC 17" CRT, which is a great CRT Monitor. Once I got my E171FPb Monitor setup, I was not satisifed with the resolution,brightness, and clarity. I got out the manuel and re-set the E171FPb Monitor, it seems somewhat better, but still a little clairty problems with small fonts. I then went to Microsoft ClearType Tuner for Windows XP and setup the Dell Flat Panel Monitor to meet my personal site needs....BIG IMPROVEMENT....I still felt that there was something missing so I discovered the Dell Community Forum and read up on others having similar problems to mine. I am running my resolution at 1024X768 and my text size at largest, I have since changed my refresh rate @ 60HZ and now I am very happy with my Dell E171FPb Monitor. Yes I tried the resolution at 1280X1024, it is okay, but my eyes preferred the 1024X768.  

CE YAH    Bobe21

Message Edited by Bobe21 on 11-03-2003 12:24 PM

No Events found!