Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2012 20:00

PowerNap

I have a Dell E2211H monitor with PowerNap installed on the PC.

With PowerNap Power Saver selected with either of the 2 options selected, when the screen powers down to sleep, after a while the screen will not wake up. To wake up it is necessary to disconnect the power for over 12 seconds and reconnect.  Is there a conflict with the PC power slave sleep settings? PC running Windows 7 SP1.

Community Manager

• 

54.5K Posts

January 11th, 2012 21:00

That sounds correct. The operating system must be set to only use a screensaver. You cannot have the operating system also set to use sleep or hibernate.

1 Message

March 19th, 2012 09:00

Why does Power Nap screen offer one of the two following options "When pc is in screen saver mode:, 1. monitor dims to minimum brightness level; 2. monitor goes into sleep mode"? BTW neither of these things  happen when pc is in screen saver mode!

I'm having the same problem attempting to wake the monitor after the pc goes to sleep: pc has to be shut down and re-started.

Dell P2312H connected by DVI to Nvidia gforce GT530 graphics adapter on ASUS Essentio CM835 pc running W7 (64 bit).

Thanks in advance....

Community Manager

• 

54.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 13:00

PEGYOG,

You cannot have two sleep modes running at the same time. Disable the operating system sleep mode and let the monitor powernap take over or enable the operating system sleep mode and disable the monitor powernap.

7 Posts

June 21st, 2012 18:00

I don't know if this question is still monitored but... Are you saying you can't have your system to go to sleep at all? So if you use PowerNap, you basically need to leave your computer ON all the time with just the monitor turning off? I have set sleep mode to 6 hours and the monitor won't wake if I come back to it 30 minutes after use. It's not asleep yet.

Community Manager

• 

54.5K Posts

June 27th, 2012 08:00

Yes. I think the testing shows that they are conflicting. So if you want to use the operating systems power management, remove the monitor powernap software.

7 Posts

June 30th, 2012 18:00

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the follow-up but I ended up returning the Dell monitor and exchanging it for an HP monitor. All of the random switching to 640x480 and "lack of sleep" issues are gone. The Dell monitor was nicer to look in terms of overall design but this HP monitor actually works right with my Dell laptop. I don't know why there are so many glitches between a Dell monitor and Dell laptop.

8 Posts

July 1st, 2012 06:00

just use turn of display on power options inside windows control panel rather than using screensaver. it cuts the video signal to monitor, and monitor goes to sleep mode. no need to use powernap

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 12:00

Is there a way to adjust how long before the monitor goes to sleep or dim (like other manufacturer's monitors do)?

3 Posts

PowerNap seems to work. But there is no description/explanation/user guide to mention 'operating system settings' for screen savers, etc. I have no idea how to change that anyhow. The first time my monitor went to sleep - it went into a coma; would not wake up. The only thing that seems to work is to shut the monitor off using its power button; then turn it back on with the power button.

3 Posts

In which case, there's no need for PowerNap software if a person is going to manually turn the monitor on/off.

No Events found!