Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2008 09:00

Re-post: How to correct Windows colors with 2408WFP.ICM ?

I know this is a repost, but I think that finding a solution to this is important and could eliminate a lot of user complains (oversaturated red-green that also cause halos/afterwglow/dots around fonts, etc.):

How to apply the 2408WFP.ICM color profile (provided by Dell) to the whole Windows desktop environment at startup (including IE, etc) ?

When I configure this color profile in Firefox (Firefox 3 RC1 allows you to specify an ICM profile via about:config), red and geen are not saturated and fonts are much easier to read. And the websites colors are correct !!

Same with Adobe Photoshop with 2408WFP.icm configured in the Control Panel/Display...

Pictures colors are bright and correct.

BUT, it is not applied to all the rest of Windows apps...It's easy to check: just compare a website in Firefox and IE... Or the same jpg photo viewed in Photoshop and in IE.

I tried with the standard Windows colour management tools (in Control Panel/Display) in Vista, and with the WinColor extension in XP: does not work.

Maybe a third-party software will do the trick but I didn't find one yet.

I tried Adobe Gamma Loader, Xcalib, MCW and Quickgamma but they do not or are not able to load 2408WFP.ICM. Desktop/IE colors are still oversaturated.

Jimmy, Chris: Dell should provide a way to load this .ICM for the whole Windows environment. Samsung does it with Natural Color Expert...

This is particularly important because of the Wide-Gamut of the 2408...

All: thank you for your answers...

144 Posts

May 29th, 2008 07:00

Thank you for your answer.

This is indeed the documented way of doing it, but I see no change when I do it.

Comparing a website with Firefox (where the profile is loaded) and IE confirmed it.

105 Posts

May 29th, 2008 07:00

In vista its display settings/advanced/color management

there you can change to the 2408WFP.icm file. I do not know if this will work with XP

105 Posts

May 29th, 2008 10:00

Im running vista and I really dont have a halo issue at 1900x1200. I sometimes get a 'rainbow effect' actually on the text but the character is very sharp and not 'glowing'. My sharpness is set to 50% too and my color profile is set to the 2408WFP as I previously noted. When I first installed the monitor without the drivers setup correctly the screen was dreadful. The halo effect was very noticeable and disappointed me as I had just spent a lot of money on this monitor. The previous post was text book but thats exactly how I did it in vista. Have you installed the drivers for the monitor? i.e from display settings/advanved/monitor/driver and loaded the 2408 drivers?

My only gripes are the white color banding on the LHS and the pink tinge and input lag! short list I guess! but if you can sort the halo on text im sure you will enjoy a much better experience with your monitor.

144 Posts

May 29th, 2008 10:00

Thank you for you answer.

Actually I've no longer the fonts halos problem now that I tuned my colors and set the sharpness to 43.

The goal I pursue now is to get rid of oversaturated red and green for all the Windows Apps (except the ones using 2408WFP.ICM: Photoshop and Firefox 3 are fine).

About the Input Lag it should be corrected (partly, nearly all LCD have Input Lag, and certainly Dell ones) by the firmware update.

For the two other issues, yes they should be corrected, but frankly they do not really bother me in day-to-day use, including games and movies.

If you've Vista, what are the defaut color spaces for Windows (in Color Management/Advanced) ?

Thanx

No Events found!