Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2014 05:00

S2415H monitor with XPS 8700 at 1920x1080 has black border

Hi

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this as I'm out of ideas and more than a little frustrated.

I've bought an XPS 8700 system, which came with a S2415H monitor.  I have formatted the machine and re-installed with Win 8.1.  I've connected the monitor using the supplied HDMI but when I set the resolution to 1920x1080 there is a black border round the screen; it looks as if the screen size is too small for the monitor.  However when I change the resolution to 1600x900 as a test the desktop fills the monitor but the resolution is not easy on the eye.

I've tried installing the drivers from the included CD, the drivers directly from the Dell website and the latest AMD catalyst.  I can't see what I'm doing wrong and therefore how to fix it.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 12th, 2014 10:00

The AMD Ati Catalyst scaling default is set to around 7.5 which causes a thick black border around all four sides of the display.

* Right click on the windows desktop
* Left click AMD Ati Catalyst Control Center or the AMD Vision Engine Control Center
* Along the left-hand side you will see My Digital Flat-Panels
* Click it and a sub menu pulls down
* Select Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel) from the sub menu
* You will see a scroll bar for underscan and overscan. Check the box and slide overscan to 0% until your screen is filled
* Click Apply and done
-or-
* Right click on the windows desktop
* Open the AMD Ati Catalyst Control Center
* Switch to Advanced mode
* Click the Dropdown Menu Graphics in the top Right
* Select Desktops and Displays
* Right click on Currently Active Display. There is a little picture of a tiny Monitor and tiny Arrow at the far bottom left of the menu. It is this tiny Arrow that you left click on, then click Configure. Then the following 6 buttons will be available to you:
Attributes
Avivo Color
Scaling Options
HDTV Support
LCD Overdrive
Pixel Format
* Under Attributes, check the Enable GPU scaling box and the Scale image to full panel size
* Click Apply
* Select Configure
* Click on the Scaling Options tab
* Move the scale to the right until you get a full screen image 0%

November 13th, 2014 00:00

Worked perfectly, thanks for the quick response!

No Events found!