Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

5 Posts

January 15th, 2020 20:00

S2419NX, turns itself on

Chucky the Monitor:

I have an S2419NX monitor (about six months old) that turns itself on after I have physically turned it off with the physical on/off button. The timing varies (maybe an hour, maybe three) but it does ALWAYS happen that it will turn itself on after being physically switched off.

Most annoying is to have a bright light come on in the middle of the night that wakes you up and you have to get up to turn it off. Or to come home from work and realize it's been on probably most of the day, decreasing its useful life and image quality. At present, my only workaround is to unplug it.

It's hooked up to a four year old Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10. And my trusty old Samsung LCD monitor never had this problem. I thought that a Dell monitor might be a good match with a Dell computer.

My video card is Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 connected via HDMI cable. Note, I've switched HDMI ports, checked all the power cables, remove cables then reattached, etc. As it is under warranty, I've contacted support, but that was an unbelievable disaster -- an episode of the Twilight Zone (a story for another time).

I see a fair amount of stories on the internet about Dell monitors turning themselves off, but not many about them turning themselves on when they have been physically switched off.

I am not experiencing any screen abnormalities -- only the turning itself on issue. I never experienced this issue with the previous LCD monitor. I did not change any settings on the computer. I read the manual for the monitor and followed the instructions.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? [Otherwise, I am afraid that I will have to return it.   ]

Thank you!

P.S. Dear Dell folks, please let me know if I need to submit the additional information via Private Message that you identify in your sticky. Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 16th, 2020 06:00

DELL-Cares agent is already troubleshooting this via Private Message. I just want to add some thoughts.

* Dell worldwide policy only allows a "refund/return" inside the first 30 days from the purchase date from us. After that 30 day period, you are only allowed like for like exchanges after troubleshooting has confirmed that the monitor is defective
* Correct, the file they linked to was just the operating system INF/ICM/CAT driver, not a firmware
* To what is the S2419NX power cable connected? A UPS, surge protector, or directly to the wall power jack?

5 Posts

January 16th, 2020 19:00

Surge protector.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 17th, 2020 05:00

OK. Turn the S2419NX off. Disconnect the S2419NX power cable from the surge protector. Connect it directly to the wall power outlet and retest.

5 Posts

February 1st, 2020 18:00

Can someone please help me?:

Here is a small sampling of the correspondence to date (and as you read this keep in mind that Dell has closed my thread, my support ticket, albeit for an in-warranty product - monitor S2419NX -- without ever offering one useful piece of advice; with one of their stellar pieces of advice being to install the firmware update which does NOT exist and never has!

Dell:
I can understand what you are calling out here. We have tested the monitor in a standalone situation. It does not power on in this state. This means that the system may be triggering it to power on. One of the reasons being, the system may enter a modern standby mode, where it will continue updating the system even in sleep mode. You may want to check if this behaviors happens when the system is completely shut down and unplugged.
Rohan

ME:
What do you mean "we"? Dell has still not offered any useful suggestions, advice, or solutions. I have not received any response now for 10 days. Do not ignore me. All you have suggested is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of: basically take the monitor, detach it from the computer, go plug it in somewhere else while it is turned off, and see what happens. That is total . Of course, nothing happens. But I didn't buy this monitor to use it as an inert art object. I bought it to work with my DELL computer. This monitor is STILL UNDER WARRANTY. So what is the next step?

Dell:
Thanks for the Tag. I see that the system (redacted) is out of warranty, but we have a dedicated team to assist you. Let me give you their contact details. Their service will be fee-based and you can reach them at:
1-800-288-4410
Time: 7am - 12 am CST

Me:
The problem is not with my desktop! The problem is this monitor! There was never any problem with the previous monitor that was hooked up to this same desktop. Never. The problem began when I changed monitors. Does this Dell monitor require some special changes to the settings in the - Dell - desktop? If so, not mentioned in the monitor manual. Or does the Dell Display Manager require certain settings to allow a Dell monitor to work with a late model (less than four years old) Dell desktop running W10? If so, not mentioned in monitor manual. I am not contacting that other team and I am not paying any fees. This is ridiculous. If you can’t fix this, it’s being returned (and please don’t quote me what your policy is — it’s being returned).

P.S. I find it telling that Dell took all correspondence into PMs. That tells me that they know that there is an intractable problem which they cannot figure out.

P.P.S. I am just one person, i.e., completely inconsequential to them. But I have bought Dell products since 1995. I think that Dell and I may be at the end of the road.

No Events found!