Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2020 13:00

S2721QS, MacBook Pro, periodic high pitch noise

I recently purchased this display and started noticing that it emits a high pitch noise every 2-3 seconds if it is connected to my MacBook Pro through DisplayPort -> USB C cable. When it is connected from my PC with and HDMI -> HDMI cable there is no noise. Any thoughts what is causing the noise and how to stop that? I tried to factory reset, but it does not help.

Thanks

• 

25.2K Posts

November 4th, 2020 07:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the S2721QS Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

* Go to the top of this Monitors Forum and read through the sticky, "Dell monitor, Apple FAQ"
* Dell did not ship a USB Type-C to DP cable with this S2721QS. Which 3rd party USB Type-C to DP cable did you purchase?

• 

25.2K Posts

November 4th, 2020 16:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

November 6th, 2020 09:00

Hi,

Right, Dell did not ship a USB Type C to DisplayPort cable. I purchased this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V27G2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is that the one causing the issue? 

Thanks

November 9th, 2020 11:00

Update: I tried a different USB C -> Displayport cable, I can still hear the same periodic high pitch noise.

• 

25.2K Posts

November 9th, 2020 12:00

Thank you for the update. Do let us know if you tried using the monitor with another system Macbook or otherwise. 

• 

25.2K Posts

November 9th, 2020 14:00

Okay, will you be able to try it on a Windows system?

November 9th, 2020 14:00

Yes, I managed to reproduce the issue on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro and also on a 2017 13" MacBook Pro.

November 16th, 2020 11:00

Yes, I tried using a PC running Windows. I used a different Displayport cable, I managed to reproduce the same issue.

November 16th, 2020 11:00

sonicsurfer, 

Thank you so much for getting back to us, would be possible to capture the sound on a video and upload it on a cloud based server like dropbox, google drive, YouTube, sharing a public link with us for further review? 

Looking forward to your response, 

November 23rd, 2020 17:00

Sorry, but I decided to return the display.  I tested other displays with the same setup (computer, cable) and I did not manage to reproduce the issue with them. I hope you will be able to identify the issue and fix that in future versions.

No Events found!