S2722DZ, webcam only detected when partially or fully closed

Dell S2722DZ

Dell S2722DZ

S2722DZ webcam is only detected when partially or fully closed:

IMG_20230117_112254.jpg

IMG_20230117_112223.jpg

The webcam is not detected at all once it is fully opened:

IMG_20230117_112203.jpg

It appears there is a switch or sensor that is supposed to turn off the webcam when it is closed. But for some reason it is working the wrong way around, i.e. it is turning off the webcam when it is open. Webcam is enabled in the OSD menu, and I have tried a hard reset of the monitor using these instructions which did not resolve the issue. I've already had my S2722DZ replaced once due to this exact same issue. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Community Manager

• 

51 Posts

June 5th, 2024 15:23

Hello All,

Please follow the below steps to resolve or escalate the problem.

1. For Windows PC, Follow the steps outlined in this technical article, Webcam Does Not Work or is Not Detected on the Dell S2422HZ or S2722DZ
  2. If you are using a MAC, Update the monitor firmware to the latest.

If the issue persists, please click Get Help now icon on the below right to chat with a LIVE agent to get instant support. Please ensure to keep your system service tag handy for a speedy support.

Note: Systems that are out of warranty, The technician diagnoses the fault and provide a quote if requested.

Self-Help:

Find your Service Tag

Dell customer care/service

#IWork4Dell

isProTip

1 Message

January 19th, 2023 03:00

I have the exact same issue with a S2722DZ - started a few months ago now - and have been looking for a solution.  Thanks dellettantee for explaining it so well.  I would love a solution to this issue... I have two of these monitors (one at home, another at the office) and both have the same problem!

April 24th, 2023 22:00

Update on my previous post.

The webcam is detected whilst it is closed (but of course just shows a black screen, because it's still inside the monitor body). When you open (i.e. raise / pop up) the webcam it it starts showing an image when it is partially opened, but as soon as the webcam is fully open the webcam disconnects and is no longer detected.

I've already had my S2722DZ monitor replaced under warranty twice in the last 6 months for this exact same issue - this will be the third time!

It seems like there is an electrical/data connection to the camera that comes loose when it is opened. Here is a video of the issue.

Update 7/29/2023 = Dell has issued me a refund, but did not provide any information on the cause of the issue or whether it is widespread.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

October 1st, 2023 15:33

Just developed this problem after a little over 1 year of ownership. Very disappointed. 

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

October 1st, 2023 18:17

To receive assistance from Dell chat Technical support, they need to first verify the warranty status and ownership.
Then you must troubleshoot with them. Click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Provide to them the private Service Tag and all of your troubleshooting.

The button is marked with a help icon for easy recognition as per the picture below: 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 16th, 2024 23:28

I just started having this problem after about 6 months of no issues. I am beyond frustrated. I spent so many hours researching monitors before choosing this one. And I even swapped the 24inch for the 27inch which took a lot of physical energy to repackage and carry the 24inch monitor back to the store. And I struggled for months with the monitor shaking when I typed before I found the right monitor arm. So I’ve invested a lot of time and money into this monitor. And now the feature that made it so great is useless. And trying to get anywhere with Dell for help has been exhausting. I just keep hitting dead ends.

Thank you for this article which helped me diagnose the problem after my IT guy spent an hour trying to figure it out. At least I know I’m not crazy. But I sure do wish Dell would post a real solution rather than just saying make sure the camera is enabled. 🙄
No Events found!