Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2008 20:00

SP2309W and Mac

I just got my SP2309W and hooked it up to my Mac Pro.  It works fine except the video camera is not working.  Any ideas how to get this to work on Mac OS X 10.5?

1 Message

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

Same problem here. Anyone know of a way to make the webcam work?

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 10:00

First off, my problem was that I needed to reboot the computer after attaching the usb cable.  Also, I'm using ecamm iUSBCam which I believe is required to use USB-based cameras like this.  You can google that to get a trial version I believe.

David

January 13th, 2009 03:00

Same problem here. I've hooked the supplied USB cable up to my MacBook and while the keyboard that I have plugged into the monitor works, there is no signal at all from the webcam. The Dell website does not explicitly state that it will not work with Mac OS X. :/

January 13th, 2009 05:00

Dont be too upset by it not working with your Mac, it doesnt work with PC's either.  There is a big problem with the software Dell supplies.  I can get it to work with MS Messenger, but not with anything else.

toad

3 Posts

January 13th, 2009 06:00

Did you install ecamm iUSBCam?  I think you'll need this to get a USB-based webcam working in Mac OS X.

9 Posts

January 15th, 2009 12:00

According to this page:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Dell/SP2309W/

which is a store that sells Mac stuff, it says the webcam on this monitor is not Mac compatible at this time.

January 15th, 2009 13:00

It's a shame that the Dell website isn't upfront about this. Although I admit I didn't buy the monitor for the Webcam, it was certainly going to be a nice bonus... one which I now don't have. :/

1 Message

January 20th, 2009 13:00

I am getting it to work sporadically. Usually either one or the other works between the microphone or the webcam. Occasionally I have had both work, usually after rebooting. It's dicey at best. I am using an Aluminum MacBook, 10.5.6 with latest Apple firmware. It's not clear to me if Dell is to blame or Apple. I'm debating whether to return the monitor or not because I did plan on using the webcam.

January 21st, 2009 05:00

It works for me without problem (macbook alu, all updated). firstly I installed it through parallels on windows, connected usb, recognized webcam  for Mac. works with skype (windows and mac), photobooth etc.

hope it helps

9 Posts

January 30th, 2009 17:00

Supposedly it works on Mac if you use:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iusbcam/installing.html

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 11:00

I'm having the same problem. It seems to work fine after a reboot, but once the monitor has been turned off, it won't work again - just a black screen for the webcam output. The Webcam is obviously responding because the little light comes on, just no video.

1 Message

July 28th, 2009 20:00

Hi,

Could you elaborate about "installing it through parallels on windows"?  I've got a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.7, received the SP2309W monitor a few days ago and although I can get the webcam to work, the mics don't seem to be picking up any sound.  My mac recognizes the "monitor webcam" for the microphone, but no levels are received.  To elaborate, I can, through Photobooth and Skype, see that the camera works - and, surprisingly, the mic worked for about two minutes on Skype and then went out mid call.  I don't know how to install anything from the Dell CD on my Mac.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

1 Message

January 21st, 2010 20:00

Hey Nathan... Is this Nathan from Colorado Springs? If so, this is Gene from KOAA. I have the same monitor hooked up to my Mac Pro and have no problems with the camera working with Yahoo Messenger. I am trying currently to figure out the mic set up though.-Gene
No Events found!