Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2010 20:00

SP2309W wont go into power saver mode when connected via HDMI

Hello,

I just got 2 SP2309W and I really love them, the only problem that I'm having is that one of them (the one connected via HDMI) does not go into power saver mode even when I turn off my laptop. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I've connected the monitor via VGA and DVI and the power saver works just fine but it doesnt with HDMI

I have an XPS 1530, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300with a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT video card.

My XPS has input for HDMI and VGA so I have one monitor plugged in via VGA and the other one via HDMI and even when I switch them around, always the one that is connected via HDMI does not go into power saver mode even when the laptop is turned off (or when it goes to sleep).

Thanks for your help,

Ivan

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 31st, 2010 10:00

We left three SP2309Ws on overnight with the HDMI cable disconnected and in STFC mode and came in this morning to see the STFC message still there. They all said, "No HDMI cable". This is by design. In fact, we tested this on several other monitor models and they all do the same thing.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 06:00

I know this is an old thread, but I was having the same problem with another Dell monitor and a homebuilt computer.  In another thread someone said that some HDMI cables have this problem, and some don't.  I just wanted to confirm that it IS THE CABLE.  

I swapped HDMI cables with my TV.  The TV had an older, thicker cable.  Immediately after doing this, the monitor now goes to sleep just as it should.  All I can guess is the really cheap thin cables skip making the connection(s) required for this functionality since TVs don't need sleep mode.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 05:00

What does the monitor do if physically disconnected from the laptop HDMI?

6 Posts

March 1st, 2010 09:00

Same thing. I physically disconnected from the HDMI port on my laptop and the monitor shows the same black screen with the message in blue saying "No HDMI Cable" and stays there.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 10:00

Right, and while disconnected from the HDMI, if you press the monitor Input Source Select button and change to DVI or VGA, it will go into Powersave Mode, correct? If yes and both monitors do it, then that must be how HDMI is set to function when not receiving a signal.

6 Posts

March 1st, 2010 18:00

Actually, no. I just realized that it doesnt matter which input source is using, when I disconnect it from the laptop (both VGA and HDMI) it just shows the black screen with the blue message saying "No VGA Cable"

I'm not concerned what happens when I disconnect it though, I'm interested in what happens when my computer says that the monitors should be turned off (like after 5 minutes of not use) and the monitor connected via VGA goes into power-saver and the one connected via HDMI just shows that black screen with the blue message saying "No HDMI cable"

5 Posts

March 19th, 2010 10:00

I bought a SP2309W about nine months ago and am having the EXACT same problem.  Initially it was frustrating, because I've always extended my desktop using an HDMI cable.  I could never figure out why it would not go into 'standby mode'.

Yesterday, I tried connecting the VGA cable, and for the first time I realized that there is a 'standby mode', its called 'power saving mode'.  However, I can't figure out how to enter that mode when I'm using an HDMI cable.

Hope there is some solution.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2010 14:00

Same problem here - I unplug my external display frequently throughout the day (connected via HDMI), and always get the same screen.  There must be a way to enable power save mode when disconnecting, but I could not find any info in the product manual or in dell support.  Anyone have a solution?

PS - this also happens when I'm connecting to the DVI port with HDMI output routed through an HDMI-to-DVI adapter

March 29th, 2010 16:00

This seems to be a common fault, I have it as well.

I have tried putting the computer in sleep mode and then turning off the monitor but then the computer wakes up again, lets hope someone comes up with a solution as it very annoying and something you would have thought Dell should have known about when testing this product.

6 Posts

March 29th, 2010 20:00

Yes, I have not found a solution to this.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2010 11:00

So is there any setting where the display will turn off when: 1) the monitor is still on [ie, I have not manually turned it off], and 2) there is no video input?  Preferably, the monitor would still deliver power to its USB ports in this state.

Thanks for looking into this.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2010 12:00

Yes! I personally dont care what the monitor does when the cable is disconnect, what I care about is that when there is the computer signals the monitor to turn itself off (or goes into standby mode or hibernation) that it will go into power-saver mode like the VGA one, instead it shows 'No HDMI Cable'. This is the functionality of all my 4 previous non-Dell monitors and I expect the same from these ones. It's annoying that I have to turn them off manually and then back on (thus the computer has to reconfigure the monitors sometimes)

5 Posts

Well, even when the monitor is set to VGA, and the cable is left disconnected, the monitor does not go into power-saver mode.  I expected the same result when it was set to HDMI and left disconnected - which is the test you guys performed.

However, the monitor goes into power-saver, when the VGA is connected AND there is no signal from the computer.  But when the HDMI is connected AND there is no signal from the computer, it shows 'No HDMI Cable'.

Isn't that where the problem lies?

3 Posts

It appears that were all having slightly different problems.  My monitor does go into power save mode when it is connected via HDMI and I put the computer to sleep.  However, it does not go into power save mode when the monitor is on, but the HDMI is disconnected from the computer.  I have never hibernated my computer with HDMI connected.  If I were to shut it down with HDMI connected I dont think I would mind reaching over and turning off the monitor as well.

In case system info makes a difference, here is mine: Dell Studio XPS 1645, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i7 Q720 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM.  Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, Total Available Graphics Memory 2810MB, Dedicated Video Memory 1024MB.

I'd like to add that aside from this problem, I absolutely love this monitor.  Resolution and color are awesome, the stand it came with is nice (although I've since put it on a mounting arm), and the price:value is unbelievable. 

March 31st, 2010 13:00

I agree with Ivan 3749, what is the point in having power saving modes if the monitor will not recognise them you might just as well swich the monitor off every time you leave it unnatended for a while, which is a real pain in the butt. I have had many monitors both at home and work (Dell and other makes) and none of them have had this problem.

No Events found!