Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.

Description: The various preset modes set at the factory and available on the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu are meant to cater to a wide variety of display scenarios. Certain color gains are enhanced in specific preset modes to deliver a richer display eg for movie, gaming etc. However, it may still not be ideal under certain viewing conditions due to individual environments and preferences even though such color presets are aligned and 100% factory checked to be within specifications.

Solution:
* Press the monitor Menu button to launch the OSD Menu and display the Main Menu
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Change from Standard to Custom Color
* In Custom Color, you have the ability to adjust the color representation of the individual level of Red, Green, and Blue. The gain setting will enable the individual intensity of Red, Green and Blue primary colors to be optimized for best viewing experience and could lessen the Green/Pink Color Gradation. The default setting for customer colors are preset at 100,100,100 which represents a neutral setting
* In cases where there is a need undo any color setting changes, you may select Menu- Color Settings- Reset Color Settings to revert the color preset selection back to factory defaults

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

14 Posts

November 5th, 2009 23:00

sRGB mode doesnt solve the problem!! Thats mean there is no cure for the pink tint issue?

56 Posts

November 5th, 2009 23:00

(1) All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for color gradation.
(2) The Color Calibration Report results are generated by testing the center of the monitor, not the left and right sides.

Since when do people only look at the middle of a screen? A screen must be considered as a whole, because that's what people actually look at, not a small section in the middle!

As for LG, their response isn't a surprise. The green/pink tint issue isn't really a major concern when a panel is used for TV's (their primary business). However Dells customers aren't only TV viewers - they are computer users - people who regularly look at white and grey backgrounds on applications and webpages, and here these tint issues can be a major distraction. I'd suggest that Dell needs to demand a higher standard from LG when it comes to the supply of panels for the purpose of being used on premium computer screens.

(3) There will not be a firmware written for Green/Pink color gradation.
(4) To alleviate this -
* Open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Color Settings
* Go to Preset Modes and change it to sRGB

Switching to sRGB MODE alleviates NOTHING. To even suggest this is outright misinformation, there is NO other word for it. Whoever at Dell suggested you put that out there ought to be ashamed of themselves. All sRGB mode might do is limit the colour gamut of the screen - it has no real impact on tint issues, as anyone who is reporting this issue will be happy to tell you I'm sure..

Also, Dell CAN fix this issue.. What Dell need to do is add controls to independently adjust different areas of the screen so that they match. Several of your competitors, such as NEC (with Colorcomp) and Eizo (with "DUE") already do this. Granted, these panels tend to be more expensive than Dells, but Dell need to seriously consider a way of adding these sorts of controls unless they're actually saying they don't care about these tint issues - In which case perhaps they'd like to tell people why they should spend much more for a U2410 when many of Dells cheaper panels do not suffer from these tint issues?

(5) We are still awaiting the firmware fix for the Graininess in sRGB and Adobe Modes

And now anyone, who has a panel which has no major tint, must risk submitting their screen for a replacement which may come back with severe tint issues which Dell will inform them is "within spec"? Nice..

I honestly thought Dell was better than this..

14 Posts

November 6th, 2009 00:00

Check this out:

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg243w/pdf/CG243W_certificate.pdf

Eizo is testing their monitor with a 25 different point across the monitor. But dell only do 1 which is in middle?? Who only focus on the middle of screen while doing their work with a 24 inch LCD? Now i know why color uneven issue happen in dell.

The above pdf link was quote from "http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg243w/index.html"

6 Posts

November 6th, 2009 00:00

(1) All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for color gradation.

Please ask manufacturer offer their specification for color gradation. What is their standard? How do they tell if the monitors are qualified? By naked eye or any kind of instrument.

(2) The Color Calibration Report results are generated by testing the center of the monitor, not the left and right sides.

If so, the calibration is not necessary before packing. It's meanlingless. Save papers will make our earth better from the perspective of  enviornmental protection.

(3) There will not be a firmware written for Green/Pink color gradation.

Please fix the green/pink problem or ask them to offer concrete definition.

(4) To alleviate this -
* Open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Color Settings
* Go to Preset Modes and change it to sRGB

If so, why you make the function users can adjust their temp of screen?

(5) We are still awaiting the firmware fix for the Graininess in sRGB and Adobe Modes

That's what you have to do.

9 Posts

November 6th, 2009 03:00

Incredible.

I thing we need to start to gather signatures for a beautiful letter:

"Dear Dell ,we don't buy your product anymore "

November 6th, 2009 04:00

Just tell me whether DELL thinks it acceptable or not. Your manufacturer won't take the panels back because they think they're okay - that's your problem not mine. What I need to know is whether Dell thinks they're okay. If your answer is YES, then you have a very low standard for your "premimum" monitors, which is basically telling us to go look somewhere else. If your answer is NO, then I fail to see why your manufacturer's low standard is relavent to me.

When you repackag dogs' food as SPAM, can you get away with the complains you get by saying "The manufactor says it's supposed to taste like that"?

18 Posts

November 6th, 2009 04:00

In fact, I find this solution really IS the solution for me! It means "Goodbye Dell, hello Eizo"! Dell obviousely does not care about their users` problems.

I was thinking about wether to buy or not to buy this monitor for some days. My decision was depending on what Dell would do about the dithering and the red/green tint problem. A new firmware for dithering was a good solution (hopefully). Why the user cannot install the firmware by himself I cannot understand.

But ignoring the red/green problem......No thanks! I`m not wasting my money for something I have to send back and hope that some day I will get a "good one".

The monitor is called "DreamColor". And now users get the advice to set the expensive WideGamut monitor to sRGB. Wow! Great solution!

43 Posts

November 6th, 2009 05:00

Is it possible to get the contact informaton of whoever is in charge of the Dell monitors products line? There must be a Product Manager we can complain to? I understand that Chris. M. is a technical support staff member (who does a great job of dealing with this mess) and is nowhere related to higher decisions.

I would most certainly love to discuss with whoever is in charge of this.

I am now stuck with this horrible product, even though it was purchased a week ago. The 15% administration fee I would need to pay PLUS the shipping fees are almost covering 35% of the total price I paid for this item. The refund seems like a huge loss for me.

Now if everyone who is affected by this can fill a negative product review, it might help. Although, they probably won't publish it like mine...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 6th, 2009 06:00

Is it possible to get the contact informaton of whoever is in charge of the Dell monitors products line?
* No.

There must be a Product Manager we can complain to?
* Your complaints are being fed to the manufacturer and the Dell team who dictate to us what the policy will be.

Just tell me whether DELL thinks it acceptable or not.
* Based on the current specifications, Yes.

What is their standard? How do they tell if the monitors are qualified? By naked eye or any kind of instrument.
* Less than 30 on color gradation. These are at 6. They use Minolta CS-2000, CS-1000, CS-210, CS-200.

* Definition? Not sure what you mean. According to the specification, there is not a problem to fix.

* How and why would you compare the $529 U2410 with the $2239 EIZO ColorEdge CG243W? For $2239, I would hope they do 25 points.

Switching to sRGB MODE alleviates NOTHING. To even suggest this is outright misinformation, there is NO other word for it.
* That is not true. I saw it make a difference (not eliminate) the Green/Pink tint on 5 caputres side by side.

sRGB mode doesnt solve the problem!!
* I didn't say solve, I said alleviate.

This appears to be an acceptance that these monitors are not suitable for photo editing.  Very sad, because other than the tint issue it is an excellent monitor.

I am also puzzled why anyone would pay £500 for a wide gamut monitor that only works acceptably in sRGB mode.  My understanding is that a pretty acceptable sRGB gamut is available from any reasonable quality monitor, but you need wide gamut to get a good rendition of the Adobe RGB available from a good camera.  Am I missing something here, please?

2 Posts

Well, this is disappointing. I guess I was too naive to think that Dell would step up and fix this issue. At any rate, I was going to recommend a couple of friends with this panel (still a good panel if yours don't have that dreaded Green/Pink Tint), I guess NEC will get their businesses now.

56 Posts

November 6th, 2009 07:00

Is it possible to get the contact informaton of whoever is in charge of the Dell monitors products line?
* No.

Some of their names are publicly available if anyone really wants to search them out.. Not that contacting them will likely make a difference..

* Definition? Not sure what you mean. According to the specification, there is not a problem to fix.
Your customers are telling Dell there's a problem here. Perhaps it's time Dell listened to its customers needs and changed its "specifications"? (which are apparently shockingly bad given the level of tint some screens have)

* How and why would you compare the $529 U2410 with the $2239 EIZO ColorEdge CG243W? For $2239, I would hope they do 25 points.

At the current exchange rate (Today at xe.com) Dell UK charge $952.05 for the U2410. The world is not America.

Also, the NEC WUXI series uses "Colorcomp" which, AFAIK, uses at least 15 independently factory adjusted screen zones. I'll leave it for you to check Google and see how much these go for.. Suffice to say the 24" NEC can be had for less in the USA than the UK price of the U2410..

Switching to sRGB MODE alleviates NOTHING. To even suggest this is outright misinformation, there is NO other word for it.
* That is not true. I saw it make a difference (not eliminate) the Green/Pink tint on 5 caputres side by side.
If that's your "fix" you'd be better off telling people to turn down the green and red GAIN values in Custom Mode. Honestly, I'm very disappointed by Dell if this is their attitude..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello M,

" That is not true. I saw it make a difference (not eliminate) the Green/Pink tint on 5 caputres side by side."  So, that  sRGB MODE can  alleviate Green/Pink Tint Issues. What does it mean?This means that there was some possibility to fix this by a new firmware .

"How and why would you compare the $529 U2410 with the $2239 EIZO ColorEdge CG243W? For $2239, I would hope they do 25 points." OK,U2410's Price
 is 25% of CG243,so,we want DELL to do 25% work.how about 5 poings?

And We are still awaiting the firmware fix for the Graininess in sRGB and Adobe Modes too.and Why the user cannot install the firmware by himself? I 'm not in US, and I don't think that DELL China will do this job.

Summary:

1. Dell acknolwdges there is a red/pink tinting problem, observable by naked eye.

2. Dell do not think this is a problem, even for their premimum monitors.

3. Dell won't fix it.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2009 09:00

and Why the user cannot install the firmware by himself? I'm not in US, and I don't think that DELL China will do this job.

* Dell has never allowed at home flashing of monitor firmware. I do not think this policy will change but we have brought it up in discussion.

Curious policy, maybe someone on Dell finances area should suggest the possibility to save thousands of dollars for the company in monitor transportation, just allowing firmware upgrade by the user.

...anyway, will the update available for those customers outside the U.S.?

No Events found!