Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2011 20:00

U2410 not so easy to switch computers and input sources DVI to VGA

Greetings,

Maybe someone else has seen this behaviour with this monitor and confirm my suspicion.

I use the monitor extending my desktop using  the DVI connection from my main tower computer.     

Occasionally  I want to hook up the VGA input to my laptop.   ( Both run Win XP SP3 ) 

However simply changing the Input source from DVI to VGA does not let me see anything  from the VGA source ( blank screen). 

I  have tried turning off my desktop ( the DVI input ) and even disconnected the DVI input to the monitor.

Do I have to power off the U2410  and reset it somehow to get the VGA input to work? ????  

Experiments - -

The monitor does detect a  VGA signal from the laptop when I change input source from the  U2410 menu

as it pops up the VGA symbol and a message ( Auto adjustment in progress..) 

It does this again  if I change the resolution and it will also go into power save mode

if I  cancel the "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

Note that I know the VGA signal worked when I first bought the monitor as I tested it with the laptop

before  using it with the tower and DVI.

Currently the DVI input from the desktop is managed by the NVIDIA Control panel software where I  set it

to display a non native resolution and refresh rate   (  1152 x 864  at 75 Hz )   so that it has the same aspect

as the much smaller primary monitor. (  1024 x 768 at  60 Hz ).      

The laptop is running an ATI Mobility Radeon x1400   at  1280 x 1024.   

I have tried upping the refresh rate on the laptop to 75Hz  but no help there.   

I have tried launching the ATI Catalyst control panel to see if I can match the resolution of the DVI configuration 

but it does not offer me the 1152 x 864 choice.

===

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 18th, 2011 20:00

bonchance,

* Desktop PC is on and connected to the powered on U2410 DVI
* Press the U2410 Input Source Select button and change from DVI to VGA
* Turn the U2410 off
* Laptop PC is on and you connect the Laptop VGA to the U2410 VGA
* Power the U2410 on
* It should show a yellow power LED
* From the Laptop, extend the display to the U2410. It should now go from yellow to green and show the desktop

2 Posts

April 18th, 2011 22:00

Thanks for the quick reply  Chris.

I did try this recipe but still no luck.

When I power up the U2410 in VGA  when the DVI computer is still on it reverts to DVI.

So I switch the U2410 back to VGA and turn off the tower PC and the U2410

Extending the laptop VGA desktop to the U2410 does bring it out of sleep mode  and the VGA Icon appears for  a moment

in the upper left corner and "Auto adjustment in progress.." message appears but screen stays blank ( actually black illuminated). 

No Events found!