Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 15:00

U2412M Display Port problem.

I've just purchased the above monitor and hooked it up with a DP to DP cable via my Radeon 7950. After a couple of days the screen res' defaulted to 640x480. All attempts to rectify the issue have failed. The display properties shows the monitor as a 'Generic non PnP monitor' and the screen res' drop box is greyed out. The 'power saving mode' message is displayed on re-boot and the screen remains at 640x480.

I've removed the DP cable and hooked up the DVI-D cable and everything is back to normal.

Is this a faulty monitor or can the issue be rectified with a software fix? 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 4th, 2013 07:00

Popduck,

The computer video card is in charge of how its ports respond to an extenal monitor. So if your were on DP to DP and the resolution dropped to 640x480, start by reinstalling the video card driver and see if it fixes the DP to DP issue.

2 Posts

February 4th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the advice. I did un-install/re-install the video driver but to no avail. It just seems that i have a DP issue at either the PC end or the monitor. I've contacted the seller who has given me the DELL UK warranty help line number so i'm going to try that next.

1 Message

February 11th, 2013 10:00

I have experienced this twice.

Sparing you the list of "fixes" that I attempted - succeeding only in useless frustrations - and after a couple hours of quiet meditation - I decided to apply one of the primary principles of successful trouble-shooting.

Try the simplest solutions first.

Was it plugged in?  Obviously it was - as it looked like an old Tandy monitor from the 80's.

Next, check the connection to the video card.  I too had Display Port to Display Port.  Also on the back of my monitor is a second connection to another computer I have desk-side.  This second cable - I think it's DVI - is very snug against the DP plug on the connection strip.  So tight, that I had to remove the second cable in order to unplug the Display Port cable.

Finally, I unplugged the Display Port cable, waited a minute, reattached, rebooted, and - drumroll ...

Problem solved.

The cable connection is the problem, at least it was in my case(s).  Either a bad cable or a bad connector.

Your choice.  And I hope this helps.

PS - Two months later it happened again. 

No Events found!