Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

2 Posts

March 26th, 2021 04:00

U2419H, Lenovo Yoga 920, USB Type-C to HDMI not working

Am trying to connect a Lenovo Yoga 920-131KB  (Windows 10 Home) to a U2419H external monitor using Uni USB Type-C to HDMI 4K 60Hz cable.

Haven't had much luck so far as laptop OS doesn't recognize the monitor when connected. Have rebooted the laptop, downloaded and ran monitor drivers from Dell website to see if OS pick it up.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Posts

March 26th, 2021 08:00

Thanks @jphughan for a quick reply.

Did try both usb-c ports with no luck.

Can definitely try usb-c to displayPort.

Have this cable in mind unless there is a specific brand you think is needed for dell U2419H.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2021 08:00

@pj_s  Have you tried both USB-C ports?  Some Lenovo systems only support video output from one of them.  If that doesn't work, I've seen multiple reports of USB-C to HDMI cables/adapters not working with certain laptops while they work fine with others, and in every one of those cases, the fix was simply to try another brand of adapter.  Or in your case I'd recommend a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter that ended up working with all devices the user needed to use it with.  The reason is that USB-C ports use DisplayPort natively for video output, which means USB-C to HDMI adapters/cables need to incorporate an active signal converter chip to switch that over to HDMI.  And it seems those converter chips cause interoperability issues where they shouldn't.  Unfortunately not everything that SHOULD work in the tech world always does.  But since the U2419H has a DisplayPort input, assuming you're not using it with something else that can't be moved over to HDMI, then a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter is a much simpler device since it can just pass through the video signal coming from the system -- and all else being equal, simpler tends to be more reliable in the tech world.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2021 09:00

@pj_s  Sorry to hear it wasn't as simple as switching to the other port.  I personally have used Cable Matters USB-C to DP cables between my various laptops and various Dell displays and have had total success with them.  I've never personally used the brand that you found, but they seem well reviewed.  Good luck!

No Events found!