Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 03:00

U2518D, D3100, Inspiron 15 5502, refresh rate locked to 24Hz

Hi there,

I have a Dell Laptop, using a Dell D3100 docking station and 2 Dell monitors and when using both monitors in a extended desktop configuration, the refresh rate for both monitors drops to 24Hz.  I have tested using one monitor and duplicate and the monitor can then run 60Hz refresh rate.  With this in mind, why can't the monitors run on 60Hz?  Is this a GPU issue (Using the integrated Iris GPU) or something else?

Thanks, Yee

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 08:00

@yeeleunglee  The Dell U2518D is a 2560x1440 display.  The D3100 doesn't support running two of those simultaneously, as indicated on Page 3 of its manual available on Dell Support and also in this article =

Supported Resolutions on the Dell D3100 USB 3.0 Docking Station

The refresh rate is dropping because the DisplayLink chipset in that dock doesn't have the bandwidth to run dual 1440p displays at the standard 60 Hz refresh rate, in fact even when you only have a single display connected you can only run a 1440p display at 50 Hz.  So if you're running two of those, it makes sense that their refresh rates are basically being cut in half compared to what the dock could handle when only one is connected.

The newer D6000 would support your display setup with both displays running at 60 Hz.  But both the D3100 and D6000 still rely on DisplayLink technology, which comes with a lot of drawbacks that I wrote about in this thread.  The better solution would be to run the displays via native GPU outputs, but based on your system model, the only way to do that would be with a USB-C MST hub, but that would only get you video output, not full docking station functionality.  A full USB-C dock when paired with your system wouldn't be able to access enough bandwidth for dual 1440p 60 Hz (because your video bandwidth gets cut in half to run USB 3.x data when you use a full dock rather than an MST hub that only runs video), and your system doesn't support Thunderbolt 3, so those docks aren't an option.

If DisplayLink's drawbacks aren't going to be an issue for you, then the D6000 will solve your issue.  If you don't want DisplayLink, then consider getting a USB-C MST hub to run your displays, and then maybe a separate USB 3.0 hub for anything else you might need to connect that you're currently connecting through the D3100.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 09:00

Thanks again but I think I have fixed it with your help of looking through the manual! On page 3, it says for dual display, connecting to HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 (DP not connected, it supports 2048x1152 / 60Hz for both monitors.

Capture.JPG

As mentioned, my display resolution was 2048x1080 (which was recommended by Windows settings) and once I changed the display resolution to 2048x1152, the refresh rate is now 60Hz. Many thanks for your help in resolving this issue!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 05:00

Before our users can assist in troubleshooting, they need more data =

* What specific Dell monitors?
* What specific PC model?
* What operating system is running on the PC?
* What specific video card/GPU is installed in the PC?
* List all of the video card/GPU video out ports
* List in detail how the monitors are connected to the D3100 using all ports and cabling

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 06:00

@yeeleunglee  Sounds like a bandwidth limitation of the very old DisplayLink chipset used in the D3100. I believe that dock is only rated for dual 1080p displays, but you have no information about the displays you’re using or your laptop other than that it’s a Dell. But you can try updating the DisplayLink drivers directly from DisplayLink.com, but if that doesn’t fix it, then as mentioned above, when asking for technical assistance it helps to provide basic technical information.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@yeeleunglee  Actually, I just noticed that the U2518D supports DisplayPort daisy chaining.  So here's another much simpler and less expensive way you can get both displays running properly and avoid DisplayLink's drawbacks.

• Get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, and also a regular DisplayPort cable if you don't already have one (though the U2518D should have come with one).
  • Use the USB-C to DP cable to connect the USB-C port on your system to the DisplayPort input of one of your U2518D displays.  Set this display to its DisplayPort input.
  • Use the DisplayPort cable to connect the DisplayPort output of that first U2518D to the DisplayPort input of the second U2518D.  Set this display to its DisplayPort input as well.
  • On the first U2518D, enable MST mode in the display's onscreen setup.

Make sure you don't mix up DisplayPort input and output connectors on either display, otherwise this won't work.  But once you get it running, you'll have both displays running at 60 Hz and running natively from your GPU rather than through DisplayLink.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

Thanks for the response. The dell laptop is a dell 15 5502 purchased in Nov 2020 and the dell monitors are 2x dell U2518D with the latest firmware (M2T103) and running at 2048x1080 using a D3100 which has the latest display link driver (v9. 3.3324.0 (10.2.3)). I hope that this provides the information you need to provide a resolution?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 10:00

@yeeleunglee  Well that's certainly an improvement, but it isn't a fix.  Again, the U2518D has a native resolution of 2560x1440, not 2048x1152.  Running a 2560x1440 display at 2048x1152 resolution means you'll have less workspace than you should AND you'll see scaling artifacts because a 2048x1152 signal does not map cleanly onto a 2560x1440 pixel grid as found in your displays.  You're especially likely to notice this on text, which will appear fuzzier than it should.  And there's also the fact that running that way means you're simply not using the full capabilities of the displays you paid for.  The reason Windows is "recommending" that resolution here is because the dock won't support anything better, not because it's actually a good solution.

I would recommend getting a dock that can run your displays at their proper native resolution.  If you don't care about 2560x1440 resolution, then you could have saved yourself some money and just gotten 1920x1080 displays.  That would give you almost the same pixel area you're using now, and you wouldn't have any scaling quality issues that you're having now.  But since you paid for 2560x1440 resolution, you should get a setup that will allow you to use it.

No Events found!