Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

March 11th, 2018 16:00

U2518D, Fresco Logic USB cards, Windows 7 64 bit

Two Fresco Logic USB cards. There are no problems in the Device Manager. The cards work fine with multiple external hard drives/hubs. Plug in U2518D Hub to USB Card in PC. Result: Code 28 Monitor is detected as "Other Devices Hub Controller Code 28 No Drivers installed". The U2518D works fine as a USB 2 port but will not work as a USB 3 Port. I cannot install the Intel extensible USB drivers. Don't need them and besides they say that the computer does not meet the minimum requirements. Why can't the Dell Monitor just plug in and work like everything else does?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 12th, 2018 06:00

Dell has never tested our monitors with the Fresco Logic USB cards. We test our monitors USB upstream cable connected directly to the computers USB port. The U2518D USB upstream port, USB upstream cable, and four USB downstream ports are all USB 3.0. So lets start by just troubleshooting just the U2518D and the computer.
* What specific computer model?
* What specific Fresco Logic USB cards?

21 Posts

March 12th, 2018 16:00

My PC is a Dell XPS 9200 with 2 added USB 3.0 cards on the PCI bus.

These cards are Fresco Logic and on the  on the WHQL list.

Specificallyu, Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Root Hub 

Driver Provide Fresco Logic

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

They have worked flawlessly with 4 Western Digital Drivers, Samsung S8 Phone, Transcend High Speed Card Reader all USB 3.0. In fact, the card worked flawlessly with an earlier generation of this Dell monitor a U24?15, which I had to return to Amazon due to intermittent black vertical lines.

The monitor is connected to the card in the PC with the Dell Supplied Cable. As an aside I updated the monitor firmware over USB but now I just get a PADLOCK when trying to enter the menu system.

I hope you will not suggest the monitor hardware is not compatible with the WHQL hardware, just because Dell didnt test it. Both items have a USB Logo.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 13th, 2018 06:00

Again, test the U2518D USB upstream cable cable connected DIRECTLY to the Dimension 9200/XPS 410 rear USB ports. Then connect some devices to the U2518D USB downstream ports. Do those devices work, yes or no?

U2518D padlock =
Try these to unlock the Menu;
* Press the Menu button for 15 seconds (Result?)
* Press the Exit button for 15 seconds (Result?)
* Press both the Menu and Exit buttons for 15 seconds (Result?)

21 Posts

March 13th, 2018 21:00

Thanks I cleared the padlock.

But why would I want to plug the USB 3.0 Monitor in a USB 2.0 port on the PC? Is this just a diagnostic step??

I purchased the monitor because I wanted a USB 3.0 Hub. I have USB 3.0 WHQL cards in my PC.

As I said, it works as a USB 2.0 Hub when the monitor is plugged into the USB Card in the computer. The reason that I say it works is that I updated the monitor firmware through the USB Card to the monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 14th, 2018 05:00

To verify that the U2518D is fully functional, you need to test the U2518D on a current computer that has onboard USB 3.0 ports. If the U2518D USB hub functions at USB 3.0 speed, then the fault is not with the U2518D USB 3.0 cable or its USB 3.0 hub. The fault lies with either the 2006 XPS 410/Dimension 9200 computer using the Intel P965 Express chipset or the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 cards in the 12 year old computer. At that point, you would need to contact Fresco Logic Support. Explain in detail all of the hardware and ask for their thoughts.

21 Posts

March 20th, 2018 18:00

Lets go over the results, when other people have the same problem, they can google this and know what to do, -get an RMA.

U2518D Monitor + XPS 9100 + WHQL USB 3.0 Hardware and Software- Plug in Dell Monitor, Get Error Code 28, Windows thinks the monitor hub is only 2.0 not 3.0

U2518D Monitor + Acer Aspire with 3.0 SS ports- Plug in Dell Monitor, Get Error Code 28, Windows thinks the monitor hub is only 2.0 not 3.0

U2518D Monitor + HP Workstation with USB 3.0 SS ports - Plug in Dell Monitor, Get Error Code 28, Windows thinks the monitor hub is only 2.0 not 3.0

U2518D Monitor + Dell Precision M4600 with USB 3.0 SS ports- Plug in Dell Monitor, Get Error Code 28, Windows thinks the monitor hub is only 2.0 not 3.0 

There is clearly a trend here. Maybe all the upstream cables Dell shipped were no good. Or maybe somebody forgot to program the USB device descriptor constants into a whole batch of monitors.

No Events found!