Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

6 Posts

July 8th, 2020 04:00

U2520D, MacBook Pro, random clicking/popping noises, #3

My setup is similar (but with 2016 MacBook Pro 13" and monitor in landscape)

I've had a U2520D for a few days now. Mine has started clicking and popping every few minutes, then it'll go quiet for a while — until just when I think it's stopped 'click!'

The noises are too unpredictable to capture on audio / video. They are not limited to one location but seem to come from various places inside the screen.

I found this: "Noise from a desktop monitor could be caused due to static charge or sparking inside the monitor." in another Dell Support thread https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/Popping-Sound-in-Monitor/td-p/3977482

But to me the noises sound much more like some kind of thermal expansion.

• 

17K Posts

July 8th, 2020 07:00

WindyMiller,

Please refer to the Dell Monitor Apple FAQ here.

Have you replicated the noise issue when testing the U2520D on a validated Windows operating system PC?

You may also want to post on the Apple Forum here.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2020 22:00

Hey mate,

I've had a similar issue with the same monitor. Mine is connected to a PC but also constantly and unpredictably clicks/pops throughout the day. I managed to get it on video, which I sent to the Dell team, but I haven't found a way to fix the problem.

July 14th, 2020 02:00

Hi jbpam,

Thanks for posting a response. I've tried my U2520D using a Mac with USB C and a PC with HDMI. It clicks with both. I sent a video too. Dell have said that they will send a replacement (my monitor has clicked from new).

FWIW it's clicked five times as I've been writing this; they tend to come in clusters.

Does your clicking always come from the same place? Mine are from random locations across the screen.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2020 03:00

No worries at all, my monitor seems to be the exact same! 

It's a couple months old and has clicked from the second I connected it. My clicks also come from random locations and happen at random times. I'm currently testing it with an HDMI connection but i'm assuming that this wont fix the clicking issue. 

It's good to know that i'm not the only one out there with the clicking issue and even better to know that you were able to get to the bottom of this!

July 27th, 2020 07:00

Hi jbpam,

I've now got a replacement U2520D. It clicks exactly like the original. And it seems we're not alone.

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 06:00

Hi WindyMiller,

It looks like this monitor just has an act for thermal expansion/ popping!

I was sent what seemed to be a refurbished replacement monitor but like yours it popped like my original one. I was disappointed as I assumed the replacement would be new given that I'd only had the monitor for around 3 months (I complained within 90 days of having it). I recently got in touch with the warranty team about my replacements wear and tear and now I believe they're going to be sending me a brand new monitor.

Not getting my hopes up but who knows maybe I'll get a quiet one!

No Events found!