Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

August 21st, 2020 02:00

U2715H, noisy audio line out output

Setup 1:

Desktop PC connected to monitor via HDMI, active powered speakers connected to monitor audio line out. Result: continuous noise coming from the speakers, especially at CPU/GPU intensive tasks (games), or just scrolling a webpage.

Variation:

In one house, connecting the monitor to a different wall outlet (not the same as PC) completely solved the issue, no more sound was present, but in a different house the used outlet does not make any difference.

Setup 2:

Desktop PC connected to monitor via HDMI, active powered speakers connected to PC motherboard jack out. Result: no noise whatsoever from the speakers.

Setup 3:

Laptop connected to monitor via HDMI, active powered speakers connected to monitor audio line out. Result: minimal but continuous noise coming from the speakers.

My interpretation: the laptop puts minimal amount of high frequency electricity noise on the power grid, while the PC does much more noise since its power supply and usage is around 5x that of the laptop. This electricity noise is correctly filtered out on the motherboard but not in the monitor.

Is there any way to use the monitor audio line out using the PC without noise?

• 

25.7K Posts

August 21st, 2020 20:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

5 Posts

August 28th, 2020 13:00

Further testing:

I get no noise whatsoever if I connect my Bose SoundLink Mini to the Dell monitor via stereo male jack cable on both ends, only on my Yamaha HS7 active speakers. 

This suggests that the problem might not be in the monitor, but in the speakers. They pick up noise from the wall outlet and/or the input cable.

No Events found!