Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2020 10:00

U2720Q, using with a MacBook Pro late 2012

Hello all,

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2720Q monitor to use it with a MacBook Pro late 2012 running macOS Catalina (last update November 2020) with a HDMI cable.

It works fine but the higher resolution I get is 1080 even if the technical specs say it can go up to 3840 x 2160.

Is there something I should do to get a higher resolution?

Very best,

Jorge

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 19th, 2020 12:00

@JorgeGallo  That display you linked is a 4K display that is only 23.8", not 27".  Did you notice that in my earlier reply I already said that if you want to use 4K resolution on a Mac, you should consider a 24" display?  That is why.  And that display would be a good choice to use on a Mac, because 4K at that size produces a pixel density within the range that Apple designs for.  4K at 27" does not.  But again, your MacBook Pro can't run 4K at all.  So unless you plan to buy a new MacBook Pro very soon, I would definitely return your U2720Q because right now you can't even use its 4K resolution in the first place.  But even if you do plan to get a new MacBook, I would still strongly consider returning it in favor of either a smaller 4K display -- like that LG display you found on Apple's website -- or a 27" 5K display.  LG makes one of those too.

• 

25.2K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@JorgeGallo  Are you determining that the display is running at 1920x1080 by looking within macOS or by checking the status info within the onscreen interface built into the display?  If you haven't checked the latter, check there.  The reason I ask is that macOS might be treating the display as "1920x1080-equivalent", i.e. running it in Retina mode and giving you the workspace equivalent of 1920x1080 while running the display itself at 3840x2160.  Retina displays have double the pixel density of normal displays, so when macOS thinks it's working with a Retina display, it uses graphical assets that are twice as wide and twice as tall so that when using you use a Retina display, things are incredibly sharp rather than incredibly small.  So in that setup, the display will actually be running at 3840x2160, but you get the same amount of real estate that you would have with a 1920x1080 display -- which is why macOS can label it as "Looks like 1920x1080" or whatever they call that mode these days.  Running 3840x2160 with standard non-Retina assets on a 27" display would result in some pretty small text and graphical assets, so it's possible that macOS just isn't giving you that option.  If you want it anyway, applications like SwitchResX allow you to have more control over how your displays are run.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@JorgeGallo  Building on my reply above, you may want to experiment to see what you think, but fyi I would recommend that you consider returning that U2720Q if you plan to use it primarily with a Mac.  A 27" 4K display just isn't a good fit for Macs.  It's not really a great fit for anybody, but it's especially bad for Macs.  The reason is that macOS when using standard graphical assets targets a pixel density of 100-110 pixels per inch -- which is why Apple had displays like 23" 1920x1200 and 30" 2560x1600 on the desktop side, with slightly higher pixel densities being used on the laptop side since the assumption was that your viewing distance would be shorter.  Retina displays use pixel densities of 200-220 ppi.  The problem is that a 27" 4K display gives you a pixel density of 163 ppi, i.e. right in the middle of the two display setups that Apple has optimized their OS to use.  So running that display as a standard, non-Retina display with standard graphical assets will probably make things uncomfortably small, while running it as a Retina display with Retina graphical assets will probably make things unnecessarily large.  This is precisely why Apple's own 27" displays use 5K resolution rather than 4K.  The only way you can sort of fudge this is to use an intermediate scale factor.  macOS supports that, but in that setup macOS will basically use Retina assets and then use post-render GPU scaling to shrink things down a bit.  That will make things an appropriate size, but scaling down an image after rendering introduces blurriness, which is especially noticeable on text.  So that probably won't be a great experience.

Even on the Windows side, a 27" 4K display really isn't a great choice unless you work specifically needs 4K resolution, such as editing 4K video.  Other than that, a 27" 4K display is enough pixel density that you'll need to enable Windows display scaling to keep things a usable size -- and many applications on the Windows side still don't handle scaling well -- but it's NOT enough pixel density to give you that full Retina experience, which is why Apple went to 5K on 27" displays.  So it's sort of the worst of both worlds.

Here's the bottom line:

• If you want a Retina experience at 4K resolution, you have to limit yourself to 24" displays, which gives you 183 ppi.  That's close enough to the "official" Retina range to be workable because a 24" 1080p display is a common setup, and a 24" 4K display is just doubling the horizontal and vertical pixel count -- exactly as Retina graphics double the horizontal and vertical pixel count of standard graphics.
  • If you want to be able to use 4K resolution purely for a huge workspace rather than a really sharp workspace, you basically need a 43" display.  (Dell actually does make 43" 4K displays.)  That will spread that resolution out across enough area that you won't need to use any scaling to keep things a usable size.
  • If on the other hand you specifically want a 27" display, then you should either go with QHD resolution (2560x1440), which works very well as a standard non-Retina display at that size, or else you need to step up to 5K resolution for a proper Retina experience.

November 19th, 2020 11:00

JorgeGallo, 

Thank you for reaching out to us, what you are reporting is a limitation from the Macbook Pro 2012, this model if I'm not mistakenly uses a thunderbolt / mini display port output and you are using an HDMI cable, therefore you will have some limitations. 

This monitor has been tested with USB-C standards and VESA display modes. 

You can check more in depth the compatibility specifications in this article:

Using a Dell UltraSharp USB-C Monitor with a Mac

Hope you can find this information helpful. 

Kind regards, 

November 19th, 2020 11:00

Thank you so much @jphughan for your answer. Just one more question if I may. I saw you say 4K screens won't work well with a Mac Retina, but I have found that, among the four screens Apple proposes in his website, one of them (the cheapest one) is a 4K. Do you think it would be as bad as the U2720Q or it would work better?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@JorgeGallo  You mentioned four screens mentioned on Apple's website, but I didn't see a link to any particular webpage, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.  But note that I did NOT say that 4K in general won't work well on a Mac.  I said a 27" 4K display won't work well on a Mac.  My post focused on the importance of considering pixel density, which is the relationship between resolution and display size.  Using 4K resolution on a 27" display results in a pixel density that falls in the middle of two target pixel densities that Apple designs for, which means it won't be a great fit for Apple's ecosystem because it doesn't fit either one.  That's why I specifically said in my earlier reply that you can either use 4K resolution at a smaller display size to raise your pixel density closer to something that Apple actually DOES design for, or use 4K at a LARGER display size to reduce your pixel density to a DIFFERENT standard that Apple designs for.  But you don't want to be stuck in the middle.

But looking at the response you just got from Federico above, somehow when writing my original replies I missed that your MacBook Pro is a late 2012 model.  That system won't run 4K resolution.  The Tech Specs page for that system on Apple's website here indicate that it only supports up to 2560x1600 resolution on external displays.  This is a limitation of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU in that system.  4K support wasn't available on that GPU.  And 4K 60 Hz over HDMI didn't become available until HDMI 2.0, which didn't arrive on laptops until around 2018.  Some older systems could run 4K 60 Hz over Mini-DisplayPort or USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, but they still needed a GPU that could support that resolution, and yours doesn't.

Yes, @jphughan I indeed noticed the it was almost 24" as you mentioned earlier, so got it, I will look for something that size for a future Mac. My MacBook works really fine but, I guess it won't last for ever!

Many thanks again for your great help.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@JorgeGallo  I just realized what you might have been talking about when you mentioned the "four screens" on Apple's website.  Are you looking at their iMac systems?  If so, those are entire Mac systems built into a display, not just a display.  The cheapest iMac is actually 1920x1080, not 4K, at least in the US.  But yes, there are some iMac options with 4K displays -- but notice that the size of the display on those iMacs is only 21.5 inches.  Having 4K resolution on a smaller display results in a higher pixel density of 202 ppi.  That is within the 200-220 ppi range that Apple designs their Retina graphics to use, so 4K at that size works well.  But you're trying to use 4K on a much larger 27" display.  That is not going to be a good experience on a Mac.  If you look at the iMac models that use a 27" display, they are all using 5K resolution, not 4K.

But again, iMacs are entire Mac systems built into a display, not just displays.  The only standalone display that Apple currently makes is the Pro Display XDR, which is a 32" 6K display, and it's very expensive.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@JorgeGallo  Happy to help, although sorry I didn't have better news for you!

No Events found!