Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

February 24th, 2022 05:00

U2723QE, MacBook Pro 2017, 4K 30Hz?

I ordered the U2723QE to be used on my MacBook Pro 2017. According to the MacBook's specs, it supports two external displays at 3840x2160 60Hz. After I connected the U2723QE (using the USB-C to USB-C cable as shipped with the U2723QE) it immediately works, but feels quite laggy. System Report reveals that it's running the 4K resolution at 30Hz instead of 60Hz.

More details: Macbook Pro 2017 (two Thunderbolt 3 ports), macOS Monterey (12.2.1).

What can I do to get the full 60Hz running?

1 Message

December 2nd, 2022 06:00

So I had this exact same issue when I unboxed my Dell U2723QE this morning, and tried to connect it to my Macbook 2019 Pro. (using the USB-C - USB-C cable provided - which actually plugs into the DisplayPort 1.4 90W port in the back of the monitor)

Here's how to get it up to 60hz:

1. Follow what Chris M posted above:

* Open the U2723QX/U2723QE/U3223QE Menu- Display
* Go to USB-C Prioritization
* Verify it is set to High Resolution

2. Plug in your cable to your Macbook. I've read things online about how you need to plug it in to the left-side vs. the right side. (when looking at the screen) This doesn't matter haha.
3. Search for "Displays' in spotlight search (CMD+space) or go to System Preferences in the macbook launchpad and go to the 'Displays' settings. You should see 2 windows. The main window that's for your Mac and the other one for your Dell monitor.

4. The Dell Monitor resolution should be initially set to default for display. Switch it over to 'scaled'. Now you'll see a range of options similar to your main window going from "larger text" to "smaller text". Now hold down the option key on your macbook and click the "scaled" radio. Yes, I know we've already selected it. Now you should see the range conver to a list of resolutions. Click the checkbox called "show low-resolution modes". Now you'll see a refresh rate dropdown appear - and it shouldn't be greyed out or disabled. It'll be set to 30Hz. Pick 60Hz.

* If the refresh rate dropdown is greyed out, you either have a bad cable (don't see how because Dell gives you one with their monitor) or you didn't do step 1 correctly.

Hope this helps!

2 Posts

November 1st, 2023 07:53

I recently purchased the U2723QE and attached it to my 13" MBP 2020. I followed yashsway's advice and that definitely worked, but only in low-res mode. After trial and error, the following steps enabled the 60Hz option in the high-res mode:

The first few steps are the same as Chris M and yashsway:

1. Open the U2723QX/U2723QE/U3223QE Menu - Display
  2. Go to USB-C Prioritization
  3. Verify it is set to High Resolution

Then try the following steps-

1. Open the U2723QX/U2723QE/U3223QE Menu - USB section
  2. Go to the "DP assign to" option
  3. Choose the "USB-C1 -> 90W" setting
  4. Plug in your Mac using the provided USB-C to USB-C cable, with the other end attached to the USB-C1 90W port on the monitor.
  5. Then, on your MBP, go to System Preferences -> Displays settings page. 
  6. Click on the Dell monitor window to see its settings pane.
  7. Choose any desired resolution (to see the complete resolution list follow step-4 of yashsway's response).
  8. You should now see the 60Hz option available for the refresh rate. Pick 60Hz.

These steps should enable the 60Hz mode for high-res options, as well. 

Btw, you could also download the Dell Display and Peripheral Manager Application to easily change monitor settings without the need to twiddle with the joystick behind.

Hope this helps!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 24th, 2022 07:00

* Open the U2723QX/U2723QE/U3223QE Menu- Display
* Go to USB-C Prioritization
* Verify it is set to High Resolution

USB-C Prioritization allows you to specify the priority to transfer the data with High Resolution or High Data Speed when using the USB-C port/DisplayPort. Note, the USB-C port/DisplayPort only provides 90W power delivery to the PC. If your PC shipped with a power adapter greater than 90W, you may need to connect the PC power adapter.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2022 13:00

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I already tried all available USB-C Priorization options but I still get only 30 Hz. The only difference is the USB speed displayed (USB 2.0 for High Res, USB 3.1 for High Data Speed).

7 Posts

February 28th, 2022 21:00

After setting to High Resolution prioritization, open the Display settings in System Preferences and you can now set to 60Hz I think.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2022 07:00

Hello,
Exactly the same situation, using the USB-C to USB-C cable as shipped with the U2723QE, 4K resolution at 30Hz.
MacBook Pro 2020, macOS Monterey 12.2.1

I hope you find a solution soon.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2022 08:00

After installing the driver from the support page and restarting the laptop, the setting for 60Hz appears in System Preferences/Display Settings.
Now everything is fine.

1 Message

March 27th, 2022 18:00

@TihomirVo wrote:

After installing the driver from the support page and restarting the laptop, the setting for 60Hz appears in System Preferences/Display Settings.
Now everything is fine.

I had the same issue on my personal mbp 13 2017. This helped me. Notable, my newer work mbp2020 doesn't have such issue.

1 Message

May 14th, 2023 20:00

Hello Yashsway, thank you so much. I had the same exact issue with my U3223QE and your solution popped up on google and solved it. Really appreciate it! Thanks!

No Events found!