Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2010 16:00

U3011 - Uneven Brightness/Color Temperature

I had a U3011 delivered on Wednesday. The box wasn't in the best condition so when I powered on my monitor and saw that the left side of the screen was a much cooler color temperature than the right side of the screen, I assumed it was damaged during shipping. Dell just sent a replacement that arrived today and it's suffering from the same issue. It's not as bad as my first panel, but the left side of the monitor is noticeably cooler and darker than the right side fo the screen. The bottom right is the is the brightest/warmest color temperature.

Panel: Dell U3011

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 50

Present Mode: Adobe RGB

Source: i5 MacBook Pro using a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable - 2560x1600 @ 60Hz

If it helps, the first monitor was assembled in China, the second in Mexico. Is this a known issue or do I just have bad luck? The issue is somewhat minor, but in my mind, anything noticeable to the naked eye on a $1.3k monitor is an issue. 

Thanks. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 19th, 2010 18:00

Unfortunately, Dell does not test/validate this monitor model on Apple hardware, ports, and software. Because of this, Dell does not have many troubleshooting steps to offer. You could post on the Apple Discussions Forum and see what they say.

4 Posts

November 19th, 2010 23:00

Also, with regards to your post, 'Concerning apple products and Dell monitors', Apple doesn't use any 'proprietary ports' as MiniDP is used by other manufacturers such as HP, Toshiba and even your own Dell. VESA made MiniDP a part of the official DisplayPort 1.2 specification.

Best regards. 

4 Posts

November 19th, 2010 23:00

This is an issue with the display likely, not the input source. Would you post the same comment if the display was being driven from a Linux box or something running a legacy Windows OS? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 20th, 2010 11:00

This is an issue with the display likely, not the input source.
* I disagree. Most users of Windows PCs can get the DP to work. The ones that cannot we discover it is an issue with the video card or the video card driver.

Would you post the same comment if the display was being driven from a Linux box or something running a legacy Windows OS?
* Yes I would. Based on the Drivers available, this monitor is only supported in Windows 7, Vista, and XP/2000.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 25th, 2010 14:00

If the monitor fails the Built In Diagnostics

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

, contact support and get it replaced.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2010 17:00

Update for others searching and who may be experiencing a similar issue. This issue has been reported across a wide variety of hardware forums so it seems like this is a known panel issue, not an input issue. 

1 Message

February 21st, 2013 17:00

I also have this problem. In my case the left side is cool, the middle is warm, and the right side is somewhere in between. It looks kind of like there are several vertical elements making up the backlight and their spectrums don't match.

re: Chris M: I've used this display with a Linux machine via DVI and DP and a Windows 7 machine via DVI and VGA. It makes no difference.

I was planning to exercise the replacement plan I paid for at the store where I got this thing, but I'm really disappointed to find out here that I may not see improvement if I do. This is not acceptable for a device this expensive.

No Events found!