Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2019 07:00

U3417W, screen glitching issue

I purchased a Dell U3417W monitor for business use in late November 2018 from a Dell re-seller. Over the past couple weeks, I have been experience a screen glitching issue where the screen pixels create vertical lines. The monitor is connected to an HP ProBook 650 G4 laptop through an HDMI cable. Operating system is Windows 10. See image attached. This seems to happen randomly (the vertical lines are also random colors each time) and frequency is about once every three days. 

I have performed a "hard" reset and ran self-test just this morning. Any ideas on how to resolve? Would this be covered under warranty?

IMG_6705.JPG

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 15th, 2019 09:00

Not for a new one. All exchanges would be refurbished. See the policy here.

January 21st, 2019 07:00

I forgot to add that when I perform a power cycle, the screen returns to proper functioning. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 21st, 2019 08:00

* Contact DELL-Cares and send them via a private message the U3417W service tag number and 20 digit serial number
* Purchased from reseller? Did you move the ownership of the U3417W service tag number from the reseller into your name, address, etc.?
* What was the result of the stand alone (Built-in Diagnostics)? Page 64 in the online U3417W User's Guide

January 22nd, 2019 06:00

I pm'd them with the service tag and serial number. I have moved the ownership into my name. When I performed the BID, everything was normal; I could see all the colors and text as normal. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 06:00

You got it correct.
The 20 digit serial number = CN-0FR3PK-QDC00-88F-10DL
The revision = A05 (latest I have seen reported)

Because the stand alone BID passes, the U3417W itself is functional on a hardware level. The screen glitching fault lies with one of the following =
* Faulty cables
* PC GPU, GPU driver, or some operating system setting

January 22nd, 2019 13:00

Thanks for the response. Before I bought this monitor, I had been using a different monitor through an HDMI cable without any issues, which made me think it was the new monitor. If this issue persists, I'll trade out the HDMI for a different one. 

April 15th, 2019 07:00

Chris,

I have tried a new HDMI cable and the problem persists. I switched to a DisplayPort cable and the problem persists. As I have previously mentioned, performing a power cycle temporarily corrects the issue.

I have reached out to discuss this issue with my IT consultant who sold me the laptop I'm using and he said that this is sounding more and more like an issue with the monitor. I agree with him. Before I purchased this monitor, I was using a different monitor yet I had no issues. 

Is it possible to exchange my monitor for a new one since it is still under warranty?

Thanks, Ryan

No Events found!