Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2020 06:00

U3818DW, swapping USB peripherals while charging a notebook via USB Type-C

I have the U3818DW. I connect a desktop via HDMI and a notebook via USB Type-C. The USB 3.0 Upstream cable comes from my desktop. I have a wired keyboard and wireless mouse plugged into the USB downstream ports of the monitor. I love that both peripherals switch to the right computer when the USB Type-C is inserted into the notebook and revert back to the desktop when the USB Type-C is removed from the notebook.  However, I charge the notebook via the USB Type-C and would like to keep it plugged in to the notebook. When I manually use the monitor interface to change the video input back to the HDMI (desktop) while keeping the USB Type-C in the notebook, the keyboard and mouse don't follow.  

QUESTION: How can I manually switch the peripherals back to the HDMI input while leaving the USB Type-C plugged in?

11 Posts

February 26th, 2020 07:00

Fixed my own problem but I'll respond in case others have this problem:

Make sure the USB 3.0 Upstream cable is plugged into the left 7-1 USB upstream port closest to the AC power on the monitor. I had mine plugged into the right 7-2 USB upstream port closest to the USB downstream ports and switching it to the other USB upstream port now allows me to manually change the input on the monitor (or Dell's Display Manager software where you can assign short-cut keys) from notebook via USB Type-C to desktop via HDMI and the peripherals will now follow the video input while leaving the USB Type-C cable connected for charging.

Capture.JPG  

No Events found!