Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 17th, 2018 10:00

UP2718Q, HDR Bloom

Hi

I purchased this monitor a few months ago on the basis that it had 4K and true HDR10 support along with great colour accuracy, while HDR does just about work the 2 presets are not brilliant, 

Normal is very washed out and dark but at least has minimal / no bloom effect, while VIVID is much brighter and vibrant it has terrible bloom. 

My question is will an update / firmware come out to address this? Ideally a preset somewhere in between the two?

Chris

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

May 17th, 2018 11:00

IPS with static contrast ratio about 1000:1 + HDR + 384 FALD zones = Bloom

It cannot be fixed and it does not matter what monitor manufacturer you choose, it's is an inherent limitation of technologies used. Do the math... max brightness divided by static contrast ratio = too much light in blacks in zones that cannot be switched off (because there are non black pixels in the zone)

Unless you go to 5 digit prices with super panasonic HDR IPS panels (which do not need FALD)... IPS monitors with "real" HDR are a fail. ALL of them... so I'll stay away from them.

Maybe some VA panel with more that 500 FALD zones could do the job, but none of these IPS can.

4 Posts

May 17th, 2018 12:00

Yes I thought that might be the case,

I guess I was just after a more balanced preset as you currently can't edit them yourself, it either goes from dark and washed out to super bright and vibrant but with major bloom.

Chris

No Events found!