Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2014 18:00

UP3214Q 4K scaling in OS X Yosemite

Last night I upgraded my late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" retina to OS X 10.10 Yosemite.  I have a Dell UP3214Q 4K display connected to the mini DisplayPort in 60Hz mode.  In OS X Mavericks, the Display preferences gave me a range of Scaled resolutions to choose from to make the text and screen elements bigger and more readable.  Text is way too small in the 3840x2160 native resolution.  After upgrading to Yosemite, I was dismayed to find the only two available Scaled resolution options are the native 3840x2160 and 1920x1080.   1920x1080 looks horrible upscaled to 4K.  So I have no choice right now but to use native resolution and deal with the tiny text on the screen.  There's no setting I can find to make the text larger.   Is everyone else using a Dell 4K monitor running into the same issue with Yosemite?  There's a new iMac out now with a 5K display.  I wonder if the different scaling options are available with that display?  Or is it only an issue with 4K monitors?

2 Posts

October 19th, 2014 20:00

Problem solved!  If you don't see all the available scaled resolutions in Display preferences, just hold down the Option key and click Scaled.  All the missing resolutions will then show up.  From that point on, when you go back into Display preferences, you'll see the same Larger Text  to More Space selector for resolutions that was added in Mavericks 10.9.3 and later.

2 Posts

October 17th, 2014 22:00

I have the same issue with yosemite and UP2414Q. The HiDPI mode is gone and so is the 30Hz. Been trying with all different resolution switching apps without success. This was the same issue I had with the Yosemite Beta, I should think that Apple would have resolved it like the 10.9.3 update.

1 Message

October 20th, 2014 10:00

I had a different problem but your solution solved it too!  I have a Dell UH2713HM which was horribly scaled when connected to my Macbook Pro via DisplayPort after upgrading to Yosemite. If I selected "Best for display" instead of "Scaled" there would be a flash but scaled would still be selected with an empty box of scaling choices. Holding down the Option key and clicking "scaled" showed all of the scaling option AND enabled the "Best for display" to be selected which works well for this monitor.

No Events found!