Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2014 08:00

UP3214Q - Issues with signal from Macbook Pro

Hello,

I recently bought a UP3214Q 4k monitor for use with my 15” retina Macbook Pro. For about one month, things were fine, but then suddenly the display did not show signal from Macbook Pro anymore after plugging it in, showing There is no signal coming from your computer message.

Checked the cable multiple times, looks fine (displayport), tried other displayport port on the macbook, USB also plugged in, tried to turn on and off monitor multiple times, scan sources etc...not helping.

Did a PRram reset, still not helping. After I plugin the monitor my desktop gets rearranged though so the computer detects the monitor, putting the dock on the monitor as this is the way I had it set up before, but no picture showing on the monitor.

Using original  Displayport to Thunderbolt cable that came with the monitor

Any suggestions? Had this non-working condition for a week now..

Thank you

Best

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 25th, 2014 19:00

From when it was working to when it did not, did you do any operating system or driver update on the non-supported MBP? If yes, try to roll back to a date prior to those updates. Clarification, Dell did not send you a Displayport to Thunderbolt cable. We sent you a standard DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cable. Unfortunately, Dell does not test/validate this monitor model on Apple hardware, ports, and software. Because of this, Dell does not have many troubleshooting steps to offer. You could post on the Apple Discussions Forum and see what they say.

Some apple users have mentioned that using a thunderbolt to DP adapter has had more success.

apple thunderbolt out --> thunderbolt to DP adapter --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Dell monitor mDP in

3 Posts

December 26th, 2014 02:00

Hello, thanks for your answer.

This is odd, as the retailer (cyberport.de) claimed that the compatibility with MBP is flawless and this single cable that is currently connecting the MBP and monitor indeed was included in the package - maybe they added it.

I am struggling to find the thunderbold -> displayport adapter in the apple online store but am unable to do so - could you post a link?

I upgraded to yosemite like a week before it stopped working, but it still did work for some days on yosemite - I am sure about that.

EDIT: oh, id just did some research and figured out that thunderbold and mini displayport look pretty much the same - so yea, probably I only have mini displayport to displayport cable hooked to thunderbolt port :)

Thank you!

3 Posts

December 26th, 2014 02:00

Oh, and apple mentiones my monitor as supported here

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 26th, 2014 13:00

No idea on the adapter. Ask the users on the apple forum. yes, apple may state this. My point was Dell does not test/validate on apple. For example, in the UP3214Q User's Manual, there is no mention of apple. Under Card Reader it states, "The Flash Memory Card Reader is automatically recognized by Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7 Service Pack (SP1) and Windows 8/Windows 8.1.". That was just an example. Also, the UP3214Q drivers page only list Windows operating systems for drivers (INF/ICM/CAT). Although X-Rite did give us an apple version of the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution.

No Events found!