Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 6th, 2012 16:00

Very unpleasant situation with my U2711

Hi,

Here is the situation I found myself in and failed to resolve with Dell customer service despite the hour-long phone calls with different departments. I'm writing this here in case someone knows how to break the deadlock Dell put me in.

Purchase:

On April 21, 2010 I ordered Dell U2711 on Amazon. The seller was not Amazon itself but a seller named premier salesman. Here is the info from Amazon

Delivery estimate: April 28, 2010 - May 13, 2010
Shipping estimate for these items: April 22, 2010 - April 23, 2010

1 "Dell U2711 27' HD UltraSharp Monitor w/ 3 Year Warranty"
Personal Computers; $999.00

Sold by: premier_salesmen

Problem:

I received the monitor in few days, it was indeed brand-new with no sign of usage, in the original box, with all the original box contents. I was very happy with the monitor. Then it started to give signs of a common defect where half of the screen was becoming noisy with lots of horizontal random lines. Gentle tapping to the lower right corner was fixing the issue (so my guess is that there is a loose connection issue somewhere). Then the problem changed a little bit: instead of half of the screen becoming very bad, now I'm seeing occasional random horizontal lines this time spanning the entire screen. So I decided to call the Dell support.

This is where the fun(!) started:

Support Experience:

They told me that the monitor is registered under another name thus can't give me support. So apparently the seller registered the monitor under their name. Dell suggested me to transfer the ownership of the monitor to myself and told me that I can do it online. I went to the ownership transfer page and started to fill the form but on the second page it was asking me the name and the zip code of the seller. I went to the amazon site and saw that the seller is no longer active at amazon, their amazon storefront is renamed to OSK and currently not available. I tried to reach them or any info about them with no avail. 

I sent them email via amazon, no answer. 

I talked to Amazon, they refused to disclose me any details (their phone number even their zip code) about them saying that it's against their legal contract with sellers.

So, I returned to Dell customer support, tried to explain the situation. They insisted that they can't do anything without registering the monitor under my name and also they can't transfer the registration unless I give the details about the previous owner. Here is a part of the last conversation I've had

me: So are you saying that you refuse to fix the defective monitor because I don't know the name of the seller as in your records?

dell: yes sir, if the monitor is not registered under your name we can't give support to you.

me: I understand that you have a workflow and I'm trying my best to provide you the information you ask for but apparently I don't have access to all the information you insist on having; apparently your workflow is not designed to handle this particular case. I really don't understand why you care so much about who owns the monitor, it's defective, it's under warranty and you say that you'll fix it or not depending on the name of the owner?

dell: you can't expect us to give support to someone who is not the owner

me: I don't know what your records say but I'm the owner, I have the monitor on my desk since 2010.  I'm not asking you to give support to me, just give support to the monitor which you know you built, which you agree that is defective, which you confirm that is still under warranty. 

dell: we can't do that

me: << speechless >>

Now What?

So any idea how to break this deadlock?

Sorry for the long mail but the situation needed some detailed explanation.

Thanks

/Cuneyt

10 Posts

September 24th, 2012 17:00

I would contact Dell's corporate offices in the U.S and don't take no for an answer. I cannot give you other advice in their forums based on their terms, or else they will ban me, but I can tell you to contact their corporate office, and then go from there...

8 Posts

September 24th, 2012 23:00

Here is my answer to the above mail that I received from Dell posted above earlier.

Thanks for your answer,

There are few things that I could not understand in your answer though, and I'd appreciate if you can clarify them for me

1- As you know this particular case started with my not being able to complete the ownership transfer myself using the online tools. Because the seller (the previous owner?) was unreachable, possibly gone out of business. So I asked Dell support "what to do?", and Dell support drove me through multi-hour phone conversations and weeks of waiting (giving the impression that we are progressing) and at the end confirmed that the seller was indeed unreachable. After of all these actions, I'm failing to understand your suggestion of "We suggest you go back to whomever you purchased the equipment from for further assistance". Can you please explain me what do you mean here, my brain is having a real hard time to process this sentence.

2- You say that you trying to protect the seller (previous owner?) in case the monitor is compromised by me, and you asked them if they are OK with the ownership transfer. This is all good, and as a person who spent $1000.00 for a monitor it's assuring, thanks. If I had indeed compromised the monitor, the previous owner would deny the transfer request and possibly you or the previous owner would contact the legal authority. But that didn't happen, they didn't say no, they haven't responded after many queries from different channels. But you are still blocking the transfer which means in spite of all the evidence I have, and despite the lack of any evidence supporting your assumption, you still assume that I might have compromised the monitor. So from this I understand that your policy is that if the previous owner is silent, that means that they oppose the ownership transfer. Is that really the case? Can you please send me the copy of the related user agreement, warranty policy etc that explains the case of previous owner being unreachable/dead/gone-out-of-business.

3- I fail to understand how you manage to protect the previous owner who is missing in this picture. Can you please give me an example case in which you protect the previous owner while the thief would contact you (taking a big risk), providing all the details (receipt etc) and the previous owner not responding the queries? I tried hard but my brain run short to come up with a case where the odds of new owner's claims being false is higher (as in your assumption).

4- As an owner of other Dell monitors, since Dell cares so much about its customers, and protects them from each other, I'd like to know how Dell protects me from sellers who sell the monitors tagged as "3-year warranty" but cheat and deliver the monitor but block the ownership transfer.

5- From where I stand, Dell's actions look as if Dell is avoiding to replace a defective unit with a very common well documented problem (design issue?). What EVIDENCE can you provide me to make me believe that you are trying to protect the previous owner but not avoiding to replace the defective product you sold and received the payment of. Do you have statistics about false positives and false negatives of your policies?

6- Is it possible to reach the number of units which Dell denies to replace/repair each year because of blocked ownership transfers? Are those numbers open to public?

7- After receiving so many different replies from different Dell units and employees, do you still think that I'd believe your claim of "Even if you speak with a supervisor, they will message to you the same information"?

Having said that I insist on escalating this issue, I'll definitely do that either with or without you help.

Thanks in advance for your clarifications.
/Cuneyt

10 Posts

September 25th, 2012 00:00

Nice. You kept your composure and stuck with the facts. Now, move up the ladder, and start contacting their corporate office. Find their emails, call their phones, and last do what is within your rights as an American.  I have been very busy all day, and did not have a minute to call them, and I am still waiting to hear from Dell Chris to see, if anyone wants to solve my problem before it gets escalated. I bought 4 brand new monitors,and 1 more on the way in less than 30 days, so 4xu2711 and 1xu3011, and I guarantee you, they will honor their warranty. I have dealt with companies like this in the past. I just would have never even fathomed Dell was one of them. You need to remind them of their obligation, ask fro their terms in writing, and then go from there.

10 Posts

September 25th, 2012 15:00

Ok, I finally solved my issues by talking to Customer Care directly. Dell Chris made it clear to me that per this websites terms, anything said, which does not fit into their category of Dell appropriate-which is reserved for them to decide- gets deleted, and they could ban you. I went up the chain, and finally got someone high enough who was able to fix all my issues.

1 Message

January 15th, 2013 08:00

I literally have the EXACT same issue.  I bought from premier_salesmen on amazon in 2010. I have 1 year left in my warranty, and because I don't have the name and zip of the original owner, I can't transfer ownership from them to myself to get the display serviced.  This is complete . I spoke with amazon on the phone but they only confirmed what it says on their website that they can't provide any help other than to direct me to contact the seller who clearly isn't around anymore. I wonder if it'd be possible to at least get the name and zip out of them for the seller's account on amazon? That may be all we need to transfer ownership?

5 Posts

July 26th, 2013 23:00

I am having the same problem on an ebay purchase of a dell optiplex 780. Dell says the "current owner" wont allow transfer of warranty and strongly infer that I might be in posession of a stolen pc. Let's see, they can contact "current owner but can not find out if it is or is not stolen? Not believable.  They are dodging warranty rsponsabilities using any excuse they can find. Why doesn't Dell help get all this stolen equipment back to rightfull owners, they should have some descent computer records to facilitate that, they build computers after all. Whoops, I forgot , this is all about increasing profits by not honering ligitamate warranty claims. Did someone say "this is where the fun starts! :)

5 Posts

July 27th, 2013 00:00

Lets say someone buys a dell product at a yard sale. They get the computer home and are really happy with it. Then they run the service tag on the-- let's say its a dell pc and the person is thrilled to find some waranty left on it. Then one day needs some help from the Dell support just to find out that the old fella from the yard sale (passed away-- god rest his soul) needs to agree to transfer waranty in order for dell to not infer that the purchaser might have a stolen pc and not give warranty support. How do i get dell warranty policies in writing? And dell transfer policies too? It seems that in this hypothetical situation a seance might be required to get the required info for dell to transfer the warranty. Glitch in the system, maybe?

No Events found!