Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2012 18:00

Auto Media Management for AFTD?

I have been told several times "when configuring AFTD, make sure not to enable the Auto Media Management feature".

Any reason why Auto Media Management should not be enabled for AFTD?

47 Posts

December 12th, 2012 01:00

The original intend to use AMM dates years back - it was to help secretaries in small offices which were condamned to swap tapes but had no idea how to mount/unmount/(re-)label them. This is history (at least with NetWorker).

Besides the fact that AFTDs should always be present, AMM does not make real sense. AFAIK it will even work but in case of trouble you will most likely not remember it.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 16th, 2012 00:00

清河 wrote:

I have been told several times "when configuring AFTD, make sure not to enable the Auto Media Management feature".

Any reason why Auto Media Management should not be enabled for AFTD?

I'm not sure why anyone will tell you that.  AMM, on device level, is something that can help when devices gets unmounted and there is pending request for that device (it will be mounted by NW then).  This feature used to be used quite alot in the past when people would hit issues with disk devices getting unmounted.

159 Posts

November 7th, 2013 23:00

I use auto media management: Yes; on AFTD in all of my LABS.

I do not want to wait for the Storage Node to get Ready when try a Labeling :-) during a Automated Setup and Backup Start.

i use it in my  BRS2GO  without any issue

2.4K Posts

November 8th, 2013 00:00

Of course AMM works fine. Generally a good idea also for AFTDs.

My only concerns:

- Although NW prevents some activities it does allow you to dismount the volume. And you will be surprised when you do that. Usually, it takes some failed attempts until you remember AMM.

- It could result in excessive log entries if the device cannot be reached. But this also happens even if you do not use AMM.

2 Intern

• 

326 Posts

November 10th, 2013 13:00

same here...i just enabled AMM after random AFTD dismounts and got that feedback from this great forum

No Events found!