Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2006 10:00

Bootstrap and smtpmail

I backup my data to disk and then have NetWorker 7.3 for Windows 2003 automatically clone to tape. The bootstrap report always includes the latest bootstrap information, however it doesn't include the clone volume until the next day. So my bootstrap report is always 1 day behind.

How could I get NW to include the clone volume in the report?

I thought about using a post command like mminfo -B > smtpmail -s "Bootstrap" -h mailserver recipient dude@company.com

When I try the command it says that smtpmail is not a valid Win32 application. Any ideas about smtpmail?

1.1K Posts

March 29th, 2006 10:00

The answer here should be pretty obvious! The bootstrap is a copy of the media database and resources (which will allow you to recover your Networker server).

When you make the bootstrap an entry will be placed in the media database for it; when you clone the database a further entry is made in the media database. Since the bootstrap is made prior to the cloning operation the media database does not recognise the future operation.

A better way of doing this would be to configure another group so you run two bootstrap backups, one going to tape and one going to disk. You will then have one on disk for easy recovery from corruption issues, and one on tape for offsite disaster recovery.

14.3K Posts

March 29th, 2006 11:00

If you are still after mminfo -B option use blat instead of smtpmail. Blat is preferred choice of Windows users. Blat can be downloaded from: http://blat.sf.net

30 Posts

May 11th, 2010 14:00

In order for the information to format correctly with 's and 's, you must pipe it as a text file into SMTPMAIL.

mminfo -B > bootstrap.txt

type bootstrap.txt | smtpmail.exe -s " " -h [ -p 25] -f "server@your.domain" " "

Note: The quotations are essential and, as I discovered, SMTPMAIL only allows one recipient to be specified.  If you include more (either seperated by commas or spaces), no email is sent and no error message is displayed on the command line.  I have not bothered to see if it throws an error using the ERRORLEVEL environment variable...

(I would recommend that everyone ignore any advice to use other mail programs as whatever email alerts and email logs you setup could very well break if you ever move your backup server to 64-bit hardware and install a 64-bit version of Networker.  This happened to me as I had been very comfortable using a program I had gotten familiar with and suddenly had no email logs and alerts because the program was 16-bit only and it would not run in a 64-bit environment.  The same thing can happen to 32-bit programs in the near future if Microsoft decides to stop supporting them.  Every Networker utility included with the 64-bit version is a 64-bit compatible executable and they run out of the "Program Files" folder and not the "Program Files (x86)".)

No Events found!