Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2016 11:00

Bug? Networker groups not follow schedule because calendar is wrong.

Networker 8214 NMC and Server

Windows 2012r2 OS

Hi all,

I may be up against a very frustrating bug, and since we are in a change freeze due to our company's peak season, I cannot upgrade Networker right now if this is the case.

I have a particular client that I have applied a backup schedule to.  The scheduled action is "skip skip skip skip full skip skip", which as listed, should skip every day, and run a full backup on Thursday. The problem is that when I tried to run a manual full backup on a Thursday, the job runs and completes as a "skip", where it should be a "full". The calendar view also shows Thursday's as a full. The schedule is set only at the client level, and not on the group.

But here's the kicker. So, just for grins, I set the action to "full full full full full full full", and lunched a backup. A FULL backup began to run, which instantly told me, that what I set as a full for Thursday, Networker does NOT see as a Thursday, although both the calendar and non-calendar views show as a Thursday. So, I set it to "skip skip skip skip skip skip skip", and starting replacing one "skip" at a time with a "full", and running the jobs again. The combination that worked was "skip full skip skip skip skip skip", which means that Monday is what I have to enter as a full to make the Thursday full run.

So, in short, below is what I have to do to get a Thursday full to run.

nwk_schedules.JPG.jpg

I have tried copying a schedule that does work, and applying the needed schedule to that, in case that one schedule had a calendar issue, but I got the same result. I also tried creating a new schedule, and leaving "_" out of the name, in case that was causing an issue. Ive tried using the "override" feature to set the schedule as needed, but it just ignores that, and runs a "skip" again. I also checked the date/time on the Networker server, and it is correct.

Anyone seen this type of behavior, where Networker is confused about the day of the week, in its schedule?

Thanks,

Todd

2.4K Posts

November 17th, 2016 14:00

I think I may have found it:

In the above screenshot delete the entry 'schedule time' which has been set to 08/15/2015.

Usually this field is empty - I don't know anybody who uses it. But the date 08/15/2015 was in fact a monday.

Try whether this makes the difference.

2 Intern

• 

146 Posts

November 17th, 2016 12:00

You are understanding correctly. I left the setting for the schedule empty at the group level, as well as the 'level' setting. The ONLY place that the schedule is listed is on the client itself. One thing I also tried was to set the schedule at the group level, and try that. The same behavior occurs....the weekly calendar day for the full backup has to be set for Monday before a Thursday full will run. If any other day than Monday is set to full, then the Thursday backup will be a "skip".  

nwk_schedule2.JPG.jpg

November 17th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

did I understood the behavior correct? The only way to trigger a full backup on Thursday is to configure a full backup on Monday? That's more than strange.

You've mentioned that you've configured the schedule on client level, please keep in mind that the group level overrides the client level. Please check whether you've configured something on the group level.

Regards

Michael

2.4K Posts

November 17th, 2016 13:00

I never had to deal with this issue but AFAIR the client time matters.

Could it be that simple that the time on your AS400 is some days off?

2 Intern

• 

146 Posts

Bingo, you are my new best friend! I dont know what that was in there, other than it was added into another group by default, and I copied that group. taking that scheduled date out worked. Thank you!

2.4K Posts

Sometimes a screenshot helps a lot :-)

I am just mentioning it because I want to encourage customers to act in a similar way.

I am surprised how often members asking for help with almost no more info that "it does not work". They don't even say whether it has even worked before.

But as we do not know the environment our help depends on your valuable input .

2 Intern

• 

146 Posts

Hi Bingo, I can ask our as400 engineer, but I back up this data through a CIF share mounted up to one of my Networker storage nodes. I have check the date/time on the storage node, and it is accurate.

No Events found!