Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2006 10:00

Can not find the volume needed error

Hi. I'm trying to do a recover on a file and when I use networker user it lets me pick the server to restore from and too. It even lets me mark the files. As soon as I click start it says: 'NSR server 'server name': cannot find the volume needed'. waits 30 seconds, tries again, etc... any ideas why the data shows up and how to find the volume or if it was deleted? Thanks

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 7th, 2006 05:00

There are dozen different reasons why this may happen in reality. You can see that without running actual restore - just select files and run volumes query and it will fail.

Possible reasons:
- mismatch in time between client and server (used to be an issue in the past - no longer I believe)
- data was saved under different clientid
- mediadb corruption

I would suggest to trace ssid you are trying to restore via mminfo and run some query on it. Last time I saw this was when client was saving for some reason data under hostname even it was defined as FQDN. The workround was to use -c during save and restore. However that was with 6.0.2 and we never saw it after.

1.1K Posts

January 10th, 2006 08:00

My first response to this error would be to run some index checks and see if that resolves your issues:

nsrim -X
nsrck -L2

If this does not provide a resolution run an index check at a higher level:

nsrck -L6

If this is still failing then verify that you can verify that the backup is available; check the required volumes when you have selected the data you want to restore; verify that the volume is in the library and that the volume contains the data you wish to recover.

1.1K Posts

January 10th, 2006 08:00

My first response to this error would be to run some index checks and see if that resolves your issues:

nsrim -X
nsrck -L2

If this does not provide a resolution run an index check at a higher level:

nsrck -L6

If this is still failing then verify that you can verify that the backup is available; check the required volumes when you have selected the data you want to restore; verify that the volume is in the library and that the volume contains the data you wish to recover.

261 Posts

January 10th, 2006 11:00

Howdy! Thanks for the advice. i did all that and restarted the backup. This is what it does now. It goes so far then just seems to 'hang'. example, it backs up to 500MB and hangs. I stop it start it again and it may get to 670MB before doing the same thing. Last message in administrator is 'save set c:\ for client was aborted and removed from volume nexsan'. What does that message mean as well? thanks

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 11th, 2006 00:00

Usually that message means that your backup was aborted (inactivity timeout for example) and backup was removed from advanced file device. Run the save in debug mode from client (full backup) and see if it hangs (check before if you have save process hanging on client). If it hangs check that file where it did hang.

261 Posts

January 11th, 2006 06:00

Alright. I'll give it a try. thanks!

261 Posts

January 11th, 2006 06:00

One other thing: how do I run a save in debug mode. This may sound strange but I can't find the stuff in the administrator manual. I've also never run a save from the command line!

1.1K Posts

January 11th, 2006 07:00

To run a group in debug mode on the Networker server use the command:

savegrp -D9 groupname > output.txt

261 Posts

January 11th, 2006 11:00

Cool. One more thing. How do i stop the save on the client machine? what is the process called? thanks

1.1K Posts

January 12th, 2006 02:00

On the client the process will be called save - check on a Windows box in task manager for save.exe or on a UNIX box do a ps -ef|grep save and kill the relevant process.

261 Posts

January 13th, 2006 09:00

Awesome. Thanks a million!

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 14th, 2006 07:00

Fow windows box, if Task Manager won't help check following utility:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsKill.html

If that fails, the only way to kill it is to restart the whole box.

261 Posts

January 16th, 2006 06:00

Thanks again. You guys are a great help!
No Events found!