Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2016 11:00

Cloning recommendation

Hello.

I have two DataDomain 7200 units, one in Nashville, and one in Dallas. Is there a preference of one cloning method over the other?

Option 1) Set up cloning using the cloning properties within the Group settings, by selecting the "clones" checkbox, and giving it a destination.

clonemethod1.JPG.jpg

Option 2) Set up a stand-alone scheduled clone of the data.

Clonemethod2.JPG.jpg

The data I'm cloning would be like SQL, NDMP, fileshares, Exchange, etc.

I can see benefits either way, but Im sort of leaning toward scheduled cloning. Has anyone noticed better performance using one method over the other?

January 28th, 2016 01:00

Hi ,

Consider the following:

• Automatic cloning is based on a savegroup and is a single-threaded process.
  • For a given group, the NetWorker software runs only one clone at a time, regardless of

the parallelism setting.

• Other groups that have auto-clone configured are able to run in parallel. However,

they will also run only one clone at a time, assuming that there is no contention for

volumes or devices.

Using scheduled clone job you can manage 30 parallel cloning sessions (edit /nsr/debug/nsrcloneconfig).

However , in my opinion, if you have a small environment and few savesets for each client you can use automatic cloning (also for "save set completion") . Instead if you need regular/daily replication of a lot of client and savesets I suggest you to use scheduled cloning job .

-Nicola

February 1st, 2016 06:00

Hi,

If this is new environment be care full before you configure the CCR replication for SQL DB VDI backup with stripes.

There is an issue going on this. where SQL strip backup creates BAD locality on DD and takes unexpected time to replicate on another site.

However I am facing same issue with non-Striped backup also.

if you have any SQL DB configured with Striping make sure at lease you should have NW server and client 8.2.1.5 or higher version to apply workaround.

- Nitesh

25 Posts

February 1st, 2016 13:00

If your backup server is idle during the day, schedule clone will be the best option. 

No Events found!