Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2012 17:00

Configuring tape devices on AIX Storage Node.

Hi guys. I have an issue configuring tape devices on a AIX Storage Node. I have 8 SN (Solaris, HP-UX) with 10 share tape drives each one, and I created links to that drivers for the same name on all SN, e.g.: 'ln -s /dev/rmt/1cbn /dev/rmt/drive1', 'ln -s /dev/rmt/2cbn /dev/rmt/drive2', etc... But in AIX I don't have /dev/rmt/1cbn, I must use /dev/rmt1.1, so I decide to create a symbolic link as follow: 'ln -s /dev/rmt1.1 /dev/rmt/drive1', etc.. And It not works, when I try to label or mount a tape I have this errors: 'nsrmmd check_tapealert: check_cdi_infop and cdi_open failed, one of the parameters passed in is incorrect for device /dev/rmt/drive1'. But If I use the /dev/rmt1.1 It works, so I don´t know how to use a symlink as all SN, if I try inquire command It shows 'scsidev@3.2.0:STK     T10000B             |Tape, /dev/rmt1.1' address. It 's an AIX 6.2 Power 7 with Networker 7.6.2 and a SILO STLSL8500 T10000B. Best Regards

445 Posts

March 26th, 2012 01:00

Skavoovee,

There are two ways to drive share physical drives between different storage nodes in NetWorker. You can either use Dynamic Drive Sharing (DDS) which is native to core NetWorker or AlphaStor which is part of EMC Software suit. The easiest to configure is DDS, this is licensed and you configure the drives for all storage nodes using the relevant drive address (you do not create symbolic links so use 2cbn, rmt2.1 etc) and all the drive definitions from each storage node are linked via a hardware_id and this is how NetWorker keeps track of which drive is in use by which storage node at any time. When a drive is in use by one storage node all other storage nodes who can also use that drive are not allowed to attempt to use it. In the GUI you will see "Shared drive in use" message for all other device definitions for that physical drive. DDS licenses are purchased on a physical drive basis so if you intend to share 10 drives between different storage nodes you will need 10 DDS licenses. When creating the jukebox resource in NetWorker there are options which can be selected for drive sharing.

AlphaStor is a more complex solution and provides the ability to Media track also, currently it is a Consultant install from EMC but the AlphaStor software is in the process of being merged into core NetWorker and will be customer configurable, however in the current release this is not the case.

Using symbolic links and "drive1" etc definitions does not allow you to trace when a drive is in use so other storage nodes don’t attempt to access. This is not how to configure sharing.

Bill Mason

3 Posts

March 26th, 2012 12:00

Thanks William, actually I use DDS in all Storage Nodes, thats because I have the same name for each drive, e.g.:

rd=SN01:/dev/rmt/drive1

rd=SN02:/dev/rmt/drive1

rd=SN03:/dev/rmt/drive1

rd=SN01:/dev/rmt/drive2

rd=SN02:/dev/rmt/drive2

rd=SN03:/dev/rmt/drive2

So I want to use rd=SN04:/dev/rmt/drive1 on AIX Storage Node but It cannot use that name, I must use rd=SN04:/dev/rmt1.1 even If I have the symlink created:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     system           11 Nov  4 19:41 /dev/rmt/drive1 -> /dev/rmt1.1

I hope I've been more clear.

Thanks in advance

445 Posts

March 26th, 2012 15:00

Skavoovee,

There is no need to create the symbolic links - you just define the drives with the OS address relevant to that physical drive. NetWorker knows via the hardware_id what the relationship is and manages using only that physical drive from one storage node at a time by marking all the others as "shared in use"

Just configure with OS device names and you will be good.

Regards,

Bill Mason

52 Posts

March 27th, 2012 05:00

Hi Skavoovee,

here's an example for configuring DDS (with different devices names: Solaris server and Netapp NDMP tape servers): http://otmanix.de/2008/08/21/einrichtung-tape-library-im-emc-networker-inc-dds-teil-6/

Explanation is in German language, but commands should Networker default / English.

Regards,

Otmanix

No Events found!