Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2015 13:00

Consolidated Backups

I'm running NetWorker 7.6 and I do a consolidated backup on Fridays for a particular client. Instead of doing the consolidated backup as scheduled, NetWorker is doing a level 1 backup instead. Checking the schedule for the client, it does show that Fridays are scheduled for consolidated backups. The save group reports that it was interrupted, but when you view the details for the group, it shows that all items have saved successfully. Why isn't a consolidated backup being performed like it should be?

2.4K Posts

September 20th, 2015 02:00

Nobody is using the legacy "save set consolidation" due to a bunch of caveats.

Such scenarios can become pretty tricky if you use tapes as backup media because you can only read OR write at the same time.

Another simple reason could be that you set the level for the savegroup which overrules the client schedule.

12 Posts

September 21st, 2015 11:00

So no one is doing consolidated backups and are doing full backups instead? I know in NetWorker 8 they rewrote the code and came out with synthetic full, but I'm running 7.6 and backing up to tape though. I've checked all my settings and so far, haven't seen anything that would over rule my schedule. I also only see a level 1 being performed instead of a consolidated backup every once in a while which leads me to believe that there was some kind of error where something prevented the consolidated backup from happening.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 21st, 2015 11:00

Consolidated backup will run backup which captures all changes since your last full (eg. level 1 backup) and then merge it into new full.  As for interrupted part, this could be GUI issue since you use rather old NW - you should refer to logs (daemon.raw) and mdb (via mminfo) to see what happened.

2.4K Posts

September 21st, 2015 21:00

The level 1 is the first step of the consolidation process. It is run to create a differential which will include all interim incrementals. So it seems that - for whatever reason - step 2 (the consolidation/merging of save sets) can/will not be run.

So you should look carefully at the timing/duration of these backups.

No Events found!