Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2012 22:00

Data domain SU(mtree) and ddboost devices

Hi ,

Created an mtree on DD 890 and ran through the device config wizard from NMC to create ddboost devices. We could write data to these ddboost devices and the data was getting written to the mtree created.

We created another mtree and created ddboost devices from NMC. On pool , selection criteria restricted that the group should use these newly created ddboost devices only to write data. But when we ran the group it went to the mtree created above?

How do we make sure that a set of ddboost devices we create should only use to a sepecif mtree? We have tons of db's and would like to use separate mtrees for these db's. What option do we have? I have tried to create a data domain device manually thinking that i could create it under a particular mtree but looks like it did not went well. Was able to create a device though manually but when trying to mount getting error below

“Opening the file / /volhdr’ failed ([5004] nothing matched) “

networker server is on 7.6.3.5.Build.891 Enterprise Edition and DD OS is 5.2 model 890

Any guidance will be appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 10th, 2012 16:00

I had similar problem (same error message) and it turns around that NMC needs access to DD interface you will be using too. It came as surprise as I though communication would be done via server, but when configuring DD device via NMC then you need NMC server to be able to communicate with DD appliance over network you selected to use. In your case, it seems as you tried this manually, but this didn't work as something in your path was not correct. In essence, your backup server name will be storage unit and you create folders under it (use NMC for that) which will be your devices.  Bare in mind that you can have up to 13 active SUs (active at the same time).  I plan to use all my devices under same SU (plan as up to now I've been testing VTL functionality and I plan to start testing DD Boost devices tomorrow).

I see that you use 5.2, but be aware that 5.2 requires ddbost library which is shipped with NW8, 7.6SP4 and only most recent patch releases of 7.6.3.x (check their compatibility guide to be safe). I also have 890, but I choose to stay within GA waters (which is 5.1.1 though 5.2 GA release should be out next month).

17 Posts

March 10th, 2014 08:00

Hi Ankur,

You can try the steps mentioned in the KB article:

https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_HowTo?id=kA0700000004QbL

March 11th, 2014 06:00

Hi Ankur,

While creating the DDBoost device via networker device config wizard it normally creates a LSU under the networker server name

i.e

Networker server name - nwserver

LSU created on DD - DB (which will be under /data/col1/DB)

While creating the DDBoost device from networker if you specify the DDBoost device name as DB , it creates / your backups will be under (/data/col1/nwserver/DB/).

If you want to use the one which was created manually (/data/col1/DB) , you need to manually create the DDBoost device manually froom Device tab.

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

No Events found!