Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2012 13:00

Exchange 2010 NMM backups with DAG

Hi guys,

So i've read all the documentation forums, but think i've read so many things i've totally confused myself! lol Here's our situation. I'm trying to backup the active DB on a server.  Here is our environment:

2 Servers in different sites (UK and IR), each hold 1 active and a passive of eachothers DB.

DAG server in IR site

I all want to do is backup the active DB on UK Site with UK Networker server.  I've created, clients for each server and one for the DAG, that's call them UKMB, IRMB and DAG. 

Config on UKMB:

Save Set : APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010

Application Information :

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=active

NSR_ALT_PATH=L:\snapshot

NSR_DATA_MOVER=localhost

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=dag.mycompany.com

My question is what should be the info for the IRMB client on the UK backup server and the DAG client on the UK backup server. I have them set up as follows:

DAG:

Save Set : All

Application Information :

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

NSR_ALT_PATH=L:\DAGsnapshot

IRMB:

Save Set : All

Application Information : None Entered

Is that right? I was watching the backup group and it was running, but it said it was backing up DAG.mycompany.com and was doing alot, the DAG server is actually the IRMB server, and i don't want the UK server backing up the IR servers.

please help, i've been using networker for years, but NMM is beating me! lol

Mike

1.7K Posts

February 27th, 2012 23:00

Hi Mike,

Let's try to clarify things...

DAG client has to be created, but not assigned to any group, it has to be created only because NetWorker indexes are saved as belonging to the DAG, and not to the physical DAG nodes.

While backup is running you will see saveset for the DAG, however the DAG itself is not being backed up, it's just about indexing; Data is being retrieved from the node hosting the DB you specified (either active or passive).

My advice: Please remove this variable: NSR_DATA_MOVER=localhost

it is intended only for configurations where a proxy host is in place, and based on your explanation there is not a proxy host.

About backing up IRMB or Uk servers, please note that you are backing up Exchange DB's, so you can play around with the configuration to be backing up DB's hosted in whatever server you want, by changing the NSR_EXCH_BACKUP=xxxx

Now you have set "active", so if the active DB's are hosted in a server you don't want to retrieve the data from then change it to passive, or else you can also do as Thierry said, specify the DB name in the saveset, in that case you should set NSR_EXCH_BACKUP=all

If you set hat variable and specify the DB name NMM will attempt to backup any DB (all) regardless of the status, but as you set the DB name in the saveset name you are ok, only that particular DB will be backed up.

Thank you.

Carlos

5 Posts

February 27th, 2012 14:00

Sorry meant to also say, shoud the DAG be in the same group as the Active DB client? or should it not be in any group?, I currently have it in the same group.

326 Posts

February 27th, 2012 18:00

"I all want to do is backup the active DB on UK Site with UK Networker server."

You have answer in your question...if you want to backup active DB in UK then specify the DB explicitly ...dont use

APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010...use APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\   which can be retrieved using the nsrsnap_vss_save on exchange server..

and your dag client doesnt need the apps info..

1.7K Posts

February 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi Mike,

If no NSR_DATA_MOVER variable i set you will always find in nmm.raw a message like "Data mover not specified, using client namexxx", but that is only information, not an error as such.

If you had already a successful backup then next backup should work fine as well.

Thank you.

Carlos.

5 Posts

February 28th, 2012 02:00

Thanks Carlos and Thierry for your replies,

After sending this email I removed the DAG client from any groups (left app information in) and ran the backups just to see what would happen,  This morning I have a successful backup! woohoo

I have now removed the NSR_DATA_MOVER=localhost entery from the Application information on the MB client so will see tonight if it still backs up, I was seeing an error when that wasn't there, but i'll check again tonight,

Thanks again for your help!

mike

No Events found!