Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2010 13:00

Exchange Database Restore - Directed - Index not found - Save Set Recover restores 0 files

Situation--

Old 2003 Exchange server removed and destroyed

Client removed from Networker Server

Now need to restore the MSEXCH back up for legal reasons

Running Exchange 2010 at the current time - no EMC Networker Client for Exchange Available from EMC

Done So Far--

Created a new Client on the Networker Server 7.4 SP1 and remapped the old client id

Verified that the SaveSet tapes are available and data is on tapes

Verified that the SaveSets now referance this new Client Name - see save sets image attachedsavesets.JPG

Built a stand alone DC and Exchange 2003 Server for this recovery - not in same domain

Installed the Networker Client and Exchange Client on this stand alone server

Verified that Networker Sever can connect to the stand alone server build - performed an ALL and MSEXCH back up

Problems--

When trying to do a directed restore from the Networker User for Exchange receive error message

"NO INDEX FOUND. You have not backed up any files from this machine. If you are doing a directed recovery you have not Backed up any files from the client

or you need to be connected to the server as the administrator"

**signed on as the administrator - Just performed backups from this same server**

When Trying to do a Saveset Recover from the Networker User on this new standalone Exchange server with a redirect

The operation starts and shows 78 files to be restored

Then in ends after hours of reading the tape volume with no error but 0 files restored

Any one see clearly what I am doing incorrectly? Or have an idea on how to complete this task?

Venting--

I was told I HAD to build an Exchange 2003 Server if I want to recover this data at all - does not sit well with me that I have to rebuild machines just to get data that is clearly on the tapes and volumes - there SHOULD be away to restore this data anywhere for recovery or legal reasons

https://community.emc.com/thread/101726?tstart=30

I cant be the only one to ever have to recover Exchange MSEXCH backups for machines that where removed, or destroyed

There has to be a way to complete this task - if not what is the benifit of storeing this data of site for recovery maybe 3 to 7 years down the road.

76 Posts

April 19th, 2010 13:00

Hi,

New host have the same name of old host?

Regards,

Anderson Xavier

April 20th, 2010 04:00

No the new Client Host created in Networker does not have the same name as the Exchange 2003 Host that was removed

But the Documentation I have read states the names do not have to be the same as long as the Client ID and Aliases Match the removed server

They do - and accross the board the Networker Software shows the new Client Host mapped to the old removed exchange servers indexes and SaveSets

The New not on the network Restore Exchange server does not have the old name of the removed server - and it should not have to have that name with a Directed Recover

index.JPG

In a nut Shell

Indexes are there

SaveSets are there

Data is on the Tapes (Verified 4 so far)

But Can not restore this data

Cant find anything that I am doing incorrectly

55 Posts

April 20th, 2010 12:00

Hi,

From the screenhot in the post I see that  the savesets are in recoverable mode. For restoring the backup done using any mobule the saveset should be in recoverable mode. to double check if the index exist or no use the command "nsrinfo -n msexch ". in case you get an output to this command then you will be able to initiate the restoration on the preferred excange server. HTH.

Rovin.

14.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2010 07:00

rovinabi wrote:

Hi,

From the screenhot in the post I see that  the savesets are in recoverable mode. For restoring the backup done using any mobule the saveset should be in recoverable mode.

Should read: For restoring the backup done using any module (well, not exactly, but here it is correct) the saveset should be browsable.

66 Posts

May 6th, 2010 08:00

You don't HAVE to build an exchange server for the restore.  A directed restore to an RSG on any exchange server that already existed would work.  But having a dedicated recovery server isn't a bad idea.

Yes, all your saveset show in the recycable state.  So you need to locate based on the SSID which tape the backup you want to restore from is located on.  If that tape has not been over written since becoming recycable media then you can use scanner and re-scan in the tape and re-index it in Networker making it available to do the restore. Thus elminating your No indexes found error.

Key here is that whatever tape the original backup was written hasn't already been re-used.

Once you have that resolved, you will be able to run your restore without a problem. And a directed one at that. I do A LOT of Exchange backups and restores and have done it several different ways and fashions.  From Alternate Forest restores, dedicated restore servers, re-directs, etc... If you have a question about it feel free to send me a private message, hasn't been a problem I haven't seen yet when it comes to Exchange.

FYI: You use mminfo with the client name, and request the SSID, Volume information etc to get a detail listing of the client you want the information on.  I just can't recall the exact format of the command.

Also, if you know the tapes haven't been overwritten already, I suggest marking them read only or removing them from the library so they don't get overwritten before you get a chance to complete this task.

55 Posts

May 10th, 2010 22:00

@Hrvoje,

Thanks for that correction.

87 Posts

May 19th, 2010 13:00

Hello,

I Don't know able to recover the backup, but when they are defeated networker indixes have two ways to rebuild.

1) running the command-L7-t nsrck CLIENT_NAME date.
2) identifying the tape and running a scanner.
ex.
(Scanner-ivvv \ \ Tape0).

Regards,

445 Posts

May 20th, 2010 01:00

You quote the NetWorker version as 7.4 earlier in the post. From 7.3.x there is a slightly different procedure for recovering indexes for clients, this is detailed in a Support Solution which is available on Powerlink: -

esg98649 – Recovering backups with expired browse/retention times

As stated previously most module backups require the Client File Index information to be present so they have the file detail available rather than the saveset name.

Follow this procedure rather than just attempting nsrck -L7 command and you will recover what is required for the saveset/s.

Regards,

Bill Mason

No Events found!