Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2011 08:00

Exchange Restore Issue - Recovery Storage group does not contain victim database

Hi

We are trying to restore an old legacy exchange server to a recovery storage group on one of our existing exchange servers.  Our exchange guys tell us that the database and storage group name is correct but we are still getting the recovery storage group does not contain victim database.  Any Ideas?????

66 Posts

January 11th, 2011 09:00

Are you doing a restore to a different exchange server besides the one it was originally backed up on?

If so, are you doing a directed recovery?

240 Posts

January 11th, 2011 09:00

Hello Leeo!

Please log into powerlink and navigate to Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > NetWorker Family > NetWorker Modules > NetWorker Module for Microsoft Exchange Server

In the left column, select the version of the NetWorker Module for Microsoft Exchange Server you are using.

In the main panel look for and open the Administrators Guide.

Once in the Guide, go to the Recovering Data from a Backup section. In this section there are several options for restore. I would recommend using the information under the section under Traditional recovery operations. Read through that section. It should provide you with the information you need.

If you continue to have issues, please let us know and provide us with the steps you used and any error messages you received.

Thank you,

Mark

3 Posts

January 12th, 2011 01:00

Hi Paul

Yes, we are trying to restore exchange data from an exchange server that no longer exists and yes are doing a directed recovery.   As it is a different server, is it possible to do a traditional restore?

Lee

66 Posts

January 12th, 2011 12:00

Ok you say the server no longer exists.  in order to do a traditional you would need to build a new exchange server with the same name as the old one and install it into the same domain that the old one was in.

On the server you are doing the directed recovery to, it needs to be in the same domain as well.

Something else I have seen a couple times in the past, was that when doing one of these restores, case sensitive came into play. (Supposedly it shouldn't matter but it did for me for whatever reason.)

Make sure when you re-create the RSG that you are telling the exchange server you are restoring a database from the old server.

From powershell should look something like this:

New-StorageGroup -server -LogFolderPath -SystemFolderPath -Recovery

New-MailboxDatabase -mailboxdatabasetorecover " \ \ " -StorageGroup " \ " -EdbFilePath

Thats how I do all my directed recoveries. Now because you say the old exchange server no longer exists it may cause a problem using this method because AD wouldn't know about those databases etc(cause the server doesn't exist).  In which case you may need to do an Alternate Forest Recovery which is a little more tricky to setup.

66 Posts

January 12th, 2011 14:00

Oopps I forgot to ask, what version of Exchange... because the RSG is different between 2003, 2007, and 2010. My example about was for 2007.

No Events found!