Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2018 10:00

How can I backup VNX File using NetWorker and an FC tape library

I've a VNX Unifed array which has a tape library zoned and configured to it over an FC fabric. I currently use an aging backup utility to dump directly from the VNX File straight to the tape library. I want to start using our NetWorker install to run and store the backups from the VNX instead.

I've got NetWorker 9.1.1.5 installed with a VM as an NMC and I have a remote storage node which has ethernet and FC connectivity.

Please do not give me a link to the NDMP document it's pretty useless. EMC support haven't been able to help me either. This surely must be possible?

263 Posts

September 10th, 2018 07:00

The following is a very basic list of tasks to perform, but it gives you an idea on what needs to be done.  Many of these tasks are documented in the admin guide NDMP guide, kb articles, and even in this NetWorker community forums.

Start by designing how these hardware are connected to each other.

• which host will be controlling the jukebox?  NetWorker server, VNX, or another NetWorker storage node?
  • Is the jukebox going to be shared?  i.e.  some drive dedicated to the VNX, and other drives dedicated to nw server?
  • Are the drives shared?  i.e. the VNX and nw server can both access the same physical drive?
  • Do you have necessary licenses to allow you to use this setup?

Verify that the NetWorker server can contact the NDMP daemon that is running on the VNX and listening on port 10000 with:

• inquire -N (vnx hostname)
  • enter the ndmp user account and password.
  • If it does not error , then it should show you a list of tape drives and jukebox that the VNX is connected to.

In NetWorker Management console, configure the VNX storage node:

• create a storage node for the VNX, and any other storage node that will be accessing the jukebox and tape drives
  • for each storage node, scan for any scsi devices.
  • once scan is completed, there should be an unconfigured jukebox and drive(s).  Use NMC to configure this jukebox
  • complete the task by updating the nw jukebox properties as needed.

Once the jukebox is configured, then again in NMC:

• configure a nw client for the VNX host
  • verify that you a
  • add this to a nw group, policy, worklow, etc...
  • test backups

58 Posts

September 24th, 2018 07:00

Many thanks for this info, it's the best configuration guide I've found on this subject

Start by designing how these hardware are connected to each other.

• which host will be controlling the jukebox?  NetWorker server, VNX, or another NetWorker storage node? The VNX and the Storage Node are both zoned to the jukebox (separate FC zones). NetWorker server is virtual. I thought in this case the SN would control the jukebox?
  • Is the jukebox going to be shared?  i.e.  some drive dedicated to the VNX, and other drives dedicated to nw server? The 2 drives in the jukebox will be dedicate for VNX backup.
  • Are the drives shared?  i.e. the VNX and nw server can both access the same physical drive? VNX and SN will share the drives
  • Do you have necessary licenses to allow you to use this setup? I hope so, NDMP license is installed. I currently use another FC jukebox for cloning from DD.

Verify that the NetWorker server can contact the NDMP daemon that is running on the VNX and listening on port 10000 with:

• inquire -N (vnx hostname)
  • enter the ndmp user account and password.
  • If it does not error , then it should show you a list of tape drives and jukebox that the VNX is connected to. Yes this works and shows me the jukebox and drives ok.

In NetWorker Management console, configure the VNX storage node:

• create a storage node for the VNX, and any other storage node that will be accessing the jukebox and tape drives Ok I didn't have the VNX configured as a SN, I do now. It is an NDMP SN though, it's the only type that would authenticate and list the jukebox devices.
  • for each storage node, scan for any scsi devices.
  • once scan is completed, there should be an unconfigured jukebox and drive(s).  Use NMC to configure this jukebox
  • complete the task by updating the nw jukebox properties as needed. ok this is done, there wan't a lot to update

Once the jukebox is configured, then again in NMC:

• configure a nw client for the VNX host I configured the VNX client using the NDMP IP and it's retrieved the list of filesystems on the NAS
  • verify that you a Sorry what was this supposed to say? It looks unfinished
  • add this to a nw group, policy, workflow, etc... Done
  • test backups Doesn't do anything, shows this message "No matching devices for save of client 'vnx01-ndmp'; check storage nodes, devices or pools"
No Events found!