Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2014 22:00

How to avoid creating duplicate volume labels?

Hello guys,

I'm using NW81.

Is there any way to avoid duplicate labeling (of the same label) of an existing volume?

Networker does not check if the volume currently exists in the library and enables labeling a new volume.

Networker treats the new label as his current volume.

My questions are:

1. Is there any unique ID came from the volume vendor that Networker can address it?

2. How to avoid new label of an existing volume, that is currently located in a library?

Thanks,

Mati

5 Posts

April 10th, 2014 01:00

Thanks for your reply.

I'm talking about forced label action and not automatic process.

I'm talking about human mistake of writing a label on volume, while there is another volume with the same name.

you right regarding the eligibility of recycling. non-eligible recycling volume will not write the label.

-mati

14.3K Posts

You can't fight stupidity of humans - you can only fire them off.  If you force something than it is obvious you are forcing something and you are on your own.  I believe bingo already addressed what happens in such cases, but if one does something wrong then there will never never guarantee that outcome won't be wrong either.

14.3K Posts

NetWorker will label volume ONLY if volume is eligible for recycling. Volume is eligible for recycling when all save sets and depend save sets on it (elsewhere) have retention passed.

You may have auto media management enabled, which enabled NetWorker to use unknown/new/unlabelel tapes which potentially may lead in use of existing volume that shouldn't be used if data about volume has been removed from database. By default this feature is disabled (meaning you must have enable it if this is enabled at your site).

2.4K Posts

???? This should not be possible as this would be against one of NetWorker's fundamental rules!

NW in fact will not allow you to use the same label twice - it will give you a clear error message.

example.jpg

However, in the old times (before NW 7?) NW allowed the same label to exist more than once.

Such might have happened when you scanned another tape with the same label but from another data zone (NW server).

The VOLID was the differentiator here.

Some years ago, i noticed that this feature did not work any more. However, i have not tested it since.

445 Posts

April 10th, 2014 05:00

I don’t believe that even if force label manually is used that NetWorker should produce a duplicate name for a volume?

Are you 100% certain there is no difference between the names?

Did you check the volid of the two volumes?

If you have not already done so I would open an SR with EMC Support for assistance.

Regards,

Bill Mason

5 Posts

April 10th, 2014 06:00

yes, it creates the same existing label.

volid you mean the tape label, or there is a CLI command to find it?

445 Posts

April 10th, 2014 06:00

You can use mminfo –q volume= -r name,volid,pool,type

This should tell you if they are the same or not.

Regards,

Bill Mason

14.3K Posts

April 10th, 2014 07:00

.. and while on the subject, are you shifting barcodes?  Or you don't use barcodes at all?

5 Posts

April 13th, 2014 00:00

thanks Bill.

Yes, I'm using barcodes. the barcode is identical to the label.

Mati

No Events found!