Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2015 04:00

How to backup Riverbed SteelFusion with NetWorker

Hi folks,

we recently equipped one of our branch offices with a Riverbed SteelFusion solution.

Riverbed says on it's website that no backup at the branch site is needed because all the data resides in the local datacenter (on a VNX).

Has anyone any experience with this sort of environment and how do you backup the data?

I understand that at the branch site is some kind of cache within the SteelFusion appliance. How can I flush the cache prior to backup to get all the data.

Is it possible to simply install an VBA/EBR on the SteelFusion appliance and use the Avamar integration of NetWorker here?

Cheers!

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 10th, 2015 05:00

From what I understand, all data is central to your DC.  From there you can either snapshot luns on VNX or you can backup VMs used by Riverbed.  Which one you use is matter of preference.

161 Posts

November 10th, 2015 23:00

Yes, I figured that.

But when I backup the VMs used by Riverbed I need to deploy a backup appliance on the ESX which is located on the branch. When I run the backup all data is transfered to the branch and back to my data center as far as I understand it. Or am I missing something?

I would prefer to do snaps on the VNX but then I only have the LUNs. I dont know which vmdk-file resides on which LUN which makes the restore of a single VM or even a single file nearly impossible.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 11th, 2015 04:00

You should be able to see that from vSphere.

No Events found!