Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2018 08:00

How to restart a failed save sets using nsradmin

Hello,

I am new to Networker. I need to restart a backup but only backup the failed save sets.

I reviewed the admin guide and mentioned nsradmin command but was not successful.

The group name is Filesys3.

Has anyone been able to restart failed save sets using the nsradmin command?

2.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 04:00

nsradmin does not make sense for that purpose.

You are just talking about groups. Am I right that you use NW 8.x ? - if so just run

savegrp -R

You better familiarize with certain commands

save

savegrp

recover

mminfo

to start with. You do not need to learn all options but you should understand how these commands work.

nsradmin is one of the commands you only want to touch if you cannot use the GUI.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

March 26th, 2018 01:00

Since there are a lot of fundamental differences on how backups are handled in pre 9.x version and 9.x version of NetWorker. It will be important for us to know which NetWorker version you are using to provide you with a solution.

11 Posts

March 26th, 2018 07:00

Yes I am using V8.2.4.0

Thank you Bingo! I will review those commands. I think savegro may be the command I want to learn.

263 Posts

March 27th, 2018 05:00

Try the following:

nsradmin -s (server_name)

. type: NSR group; name: Filesys3

update autostart: Enabled

update autorestart: Restart now

quit

Alternatively, you can use the savegrp command:

savegrp -R Filesys3

Note:

• To use autorestart, autostart has to be enabled.

• you need sufficient NetWorker server privileges to perform this task

11 Posts

March 27th, 2018 06:00

Thank you Wallace

My goal is to restart a backup when one or more of the save sets within the group fail.

For example. Group FileSys3 has 6 servers and all servers have "All" selected for the Save Set.

Sometimes when the group backup runs some of the save sets fail, ie Server1 D:\ save set.

I would like to restart the backup but only back the failed save set(s).

Will the nsradmin or savegrp restart commands only backup the failed save sets or the entire group?

263 Posts

March 27th, 2018 09:00

Will the nsradmin or savegrp restart commands only backup the failed save sets or the entire group?

This depends on what is the elapsed time between when the group last started, and when you are trying to restart this failed set. 

In the nsr_group resource, there is a parameter called restart window.   This defines the amount of time for which restarts are valid. If the restart window has elapsed from the previous start of group, the restart attempt is converted into a fresh start.

For example...  if the group started at 3 AM, the restart window is 12:00 hours (default), and you try to restart the group before 3 PM, then restarting the group will try to backup the savesets that failed.

BUT if you try to restart the group after 3 pm, then this is outside the restart window, and therefore all the backups for this group will be processed again, even if they had already been successful

The restart window can be modified, but has to be less than the group Interval value, which is 24 hours (i.e. group runs once a day by default).

2.4K Posts

March 27th, 2018 10:00

Do not fiddle with nsradmin to control the groups.

Yes - you can do that but it is not as straight as using savegrp.

To restart a group and process only the save set which have not finished successfully yet, simply use

"savegrp -R "                    instead of

"savegrp -G "

Make it easy  ;-)

18 Posts

March 27th, 2018 16:00

Is this the section of the Administration Guide you are trying to use to restart the failed backup?

https://support.emc.com/docu81524_NetWorker-9.1-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

page 864

Restarting a failed save set

Failed save sets can be restarted without requiring that the entire save group be rerun.

You can initiate a restart from the nsradmin command line utility or from the

savegrp program.

NOTICE

Bare Metal Recovery (BMR) enabled clients do not support the restart a single save

set. This is because BMR workflows report all save sets within a save group as failure

or success.

The following limitations apply to restarting individual save sets:

l Unable to accept requests if the restart window has passed.

l Unable to accept requests for clients with defined pre or post commands.

l Unable to accept requests if backup is in progress.

l Unable to restart a save set that completed successfully.

l Unable to restart a save set that is in progress.

Commands that restart backups

You can use nsradmin or savegrp to restart failed save sets within a previously run

savegroup.

nsradmin

From the command line type:

# nsradmin

nsradmin> . type: Nsr group; name: GroupName|Default

nsradmin> update client subset: client1:ss1,ss2, client2:ss3,ss4;

autorestart: restart now

Output similar to the following appears:

update client subset: client1:ss1,ss2;client2:ss3,ss4;

autorestart: restart now

savegrp

The savegrp program enables you to restart failed clients or save sets while a group

is running. From the command line, type:

savegrp -R -c "client1:ss1,ss2" -c "client2:ss3,ss4" GroupName

Note

During a bootstrap backup, the savegrp program does not accept requests to restart individual save sets. "

These instructions I have found are incorrect.

To restart a Policy's workflow in nsradmin:

nsradmin> . type: NSR Protection Policy; name:

nsradmin> update restart now:

I found this only documented in the Command Reference Guide.

Also, the savegrp command that is shared will not work. Instead the nsrpolicy restart command should be used. From the same Administration Guide, page 291,

Restarting a workflow from a command prompt

To restart all actions in a workflows that a Policy resource contains, type the following

command: nsrpolicy restart --policy_name "policy_name" --workflow_name

"workflow_name"

where:

l "policy_name" is the name of the Policy resource that contains the workflow that

you want to restart.

l "workflow_name" is the name of the Workflow resource that you want to restart

263 Posts

March 27th, 2018 21:00

Can't get a better and complete answer than that!   Thanks David.

11 Posts

April 4th, 2018 06:00

Thanks David for the very thorough answer!!! That answered my questions. I just need to determine which save set is ss1, ss2, etc

18 Posts

April 10th, 2018 08:00

There is no way in NetWorker 9 to define clients nor save sets to restart. Only the failed save sets would be restarted with the methods shared.

No Events found!