Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2015 09:00

Is there a way to list the Save Sets that an Incremental is bound to?

Specifics about the environment:

There are three groups that back up the this client.  The groups can be called, Daily, Weekly, and Monthly for this example.

Group               Directory               Schedule

===========================================

Daily                 D:\Shares              Incremental Mon-Fri

Weekly             D                            Full Every Day

Monthly            D                            Full First Saturday Monthly

The history of D:\Shares is that it was backed up at a level "Full" then set for Incrementals Monday thru Friday.  Now time/years have past, none of the Incremental/Full save sets will expire.  My understanding is this is due to all of the incrementals being tied to the first "Full" level backup.

I spoke to EMC support and they stated that the weekly and the monthly, level "Full" backup would set the "bit" allowing for either of those "Full" backups to "seed" the incremental.  Therefore, allowing for previous backups to expire.

What is the best way to show which full an incremental is connected?

Thanks,

Robert

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 21st, 2015 12:00

They would be tied if you used same save set - but you don't.  I don't really understand your weekly which is full every day - sounds more like daily, but I assume you wanted to say weekly full or?  As D:\Shares is part of D (right?), then I would simply run one job with full D on week and rest incremental.  At the end of the first week in month, I would have job which changes retention of my last weekly full (as I assume that is what monthly does).  Now, if your weekly is also different retention, same may apply, but it does complicate picture a bit since all those incrementals are tied to previous full.  With different save set, I think this is not the issue even if logically save set lives within another save set (like D:\shares being part of D).  In that case, D:\shares, under what you described, have just one full and they keep being alive as there is no other full since you keep running incrementals for it.  I assume D:\shares might be mnt point so you keep that separately, but dependency rule is still there (depending on client version, that mnt point may or may not be included in D backup).

3 Posts

April 21st, 2015 12:00

Hrvoje,

I inherited this setup, so I am trying to understand the configuration. I agree that the group titles are not typical.

What I think you are telling me, is that if the save set definition is identical in both groups for the client, then the full and incr. backups are associated or connected. Is this right??

Thanks,

Robert Stroup

EOUSA/OAS/BRS Design Engineer

Contractor, BAE Systems

202-252-6085

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 21st, 2015 13:00

Yes that is correct (at least it used to be so in the past). 

2.4K Posts

April 21st, 2015 21:00

There is now way to directly retrieve the starzing full of a backup cycle.

But you could verify when the last full of the same save has been created.

A command similar like this could help (use the mminfo manpage for details):

mminfo -q "client= ,name='D:\Shares',savetime>01/01/2010,level=full" -r "client,name,level,savetime" -ot > file.txt

Then verify when the last full has been created.

Of course you could also use the GUI for the save set query.

No Events found!